Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Southern Cross Hospital Back Up And Running

Southern Cross Hospital Back Up And Running

Southern Cross Hospital on Bealey Avenue is once again fully operational. Mains water supply has been restored and the hospital began admitting patients scheduled for elective surgery this morning, with the help of those staff who were willing and able to return to work.

Fortunately, the hospital received only minor damage in the earthquake.
It has been formally assessed and given a "green-sticker" indicating
that it is safe for public use.

Southern Cross Hospitals Chief Executive Officer Terry Moore said,
"There are patients in Canterbury requiring elective surgery and we are
pleased to help resume this service again for the region."

In the immediate hours and days following the earthquake, the hospital
facilities were utilised by the Canterbury District Health Board (DHB)
as an acute triage centre. Available Southern Cross staff were tasked
with performing surgical assessments and, in some cases, emergency
surgery for those injured in the quake, while also tending to existing
patients in the hospital.


The hospital continued to be available to surgeons and GPs until this
service was no longer required.


Mr Moore said the Southern Cross staff were in the fortunate position to
be able to help in the recovery effort.

"Though many did not know the whereabouts of family and friends they,
like so many other Cantabrians on that day, focused on helping other
people. I am extremely proud of our team.

"We will continue to offer assistance where we can with any health
services required in the coming months and years while the city gets
back on its feet."

- ends -

.

.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Christchurch Fires: Friday Morning Update

Slightly cooler weather conditions and higher humidity with some light rain having fallen early this morning is welcome relief for emergency services fighting the Port Hills fire in Christchurch..

It has been a quiet night with a few minor flare ups contained by fire crews. Thermal imaging is being used to identify hot spots. There is a lot of work to do to clean up the whole fire area and this will go on for several days.

Te Hapua Welfare Centre remains open with a small amount of people staying there. Nga Hau E Wha Marae and the Selwyn welfare centre have been closed. Police cordons are still in place and these areas are still considered dangerous. The situation is being constantly reassessed and we will provide further information as soon as it is available. More>>

 
 

Turnbull Visit: Leaders’ Talks Cement Trade Relations, Science Agreement

Mr English met with Prime Minister Turnbull in Queenstown today to discuss common approaches to bilateral and international issues, including trade and science and innovation. Mr English also thanked Mr Turnbull for Australia’s offer of support for those fighting the fires on the Port Hills in Christchurch. More>>

ALSO:

Youth Guarantee: Upskilling Fund Used For Retraining

News that one in five of the people enrolling in Youth Guarantee already hold qualifications at the level they’re enrolling in highlights the failure of the scheme to reach the disengaged young people it was set up to assist, says Labour’s Education spokesperson Chris Hipkins. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On What Trump May Mean For Us

So far not much effort has been put into tracing the possible implications for New Zealand of the stream of executive orders and tweets that have been pouring from the Oval Office. Unfortunately, we may not simply be drive-by rubberneckers at this car wreck for much longer. More>>

Pike River Select Committee: Solid Energy Chair Talks Resignation Over Re-Entry

Andy Coupe, chair of failed state-owned coal miner Solid Energy, said at a fiery select committee this morning that he would consider resigning if the government orders the company to re-enter the Pike River coal mine. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Candidacy Troubles

So its official. Greg O’Connor will indeed be Labour’s candidate in Ohariu and – as also signaled well in advance – the Greens will not be standing a candidate in the electorate. At this point, you have to question the validity of the Greens’ excuse – “we need to change the government” – for tagging along.... More>>

ALSO:

Post-Shooting Security: Guards Say WINZ Safety Protocols Unsafe

“The safety issue has moved from inside WINZ offices to outside where security guards are isolated in front of locked doors with nowhere to retreat if they need help,” says Len. More>>

ALSO:

PM’s Press Conference: Housing, Housing, Housing

Questions from the gallery focused on housing, asking about the Auckland Unitary Plan, the potential skills and resource shortage and whether NZ would seek help from overseas. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news