Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Young people pick up on Auckland’s waste problems

10 January 2012

Young people pick up on Auckland’s waste problems

Auckland Council’s draft waste plan was the inspiration behind a competition aimed at getting young people involved in tackling Auckland’s waste issues.

Local youth organisation, Innercredits, held the competition encouraging young people to comment on the plan.

Their combined contribution is one of the 622 public submissions already received on the draft waste plan. All Aucklanders have until 31 January to make their voice heard on the plan.

Manager for Infrastructure and Environmental Services, John Dragicevich, says there has been a great response from Aucklanders to the draft waste plan.

“So far, over 600 submissions have been made by people throughout Auckland. We’ve made a huge effort to encourage people from all walks of life to get involved, and it’s fantastic to see motivated young people, in particular, stepping up to have their say.”

The ‘Help stop Auckland from being rubbish’ competition was organised by young people involved in Innercredit’s 2011 volunteering trip to Indonesia and America. Innercredits aims to inspire young people to do good things in their communities.

The group compiled a joint submission by using social media and local networks to encourage other young people to share their thoughts on the draft waste plan.

The competition, which closed in late December, rewarded the best ideas’ contributor with registration and spending money at the 2012 Summer Jam – a week-long workshop for youth on environmental and social initiatives run by ReGeneration.



The winning entry from Riane Ross (17) included: “Collection refunds could be effective. Teenagers buy a lot of bottles/cans and collection refunds would be a brilliant way to encourage recycling as it offers a reward and teaches them the importance of recycling at the same time.”

All Aucklanders are invited to make a submission on the draft plan before 31 January 2012. Submissions can be made online at aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/wasteplan. The draft plan summary and submission form can also be downloaded, or picked up from a local board office, council service centre or library, and submissions returned by freepost.

• At 10 January 2012, 622 submissions have been received on Auckland Council’s draft Waste Management and Minimisation Plan

• Information is available, and submissions can be made online at aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/wasteplan. To view a short video on the draft plan visit www.facebook.com/aklcouncil. The draft plan, summary and submission form can also be downloaded or picked up from a local board office, council service centre or library, and forms returned by freepost.

• The draft Waste Management and Minimisation Plan summary is available in simplified Chinese, English, Korean, Maori, Samoan and Tongan.

• More about Innercredits at www.innercredits.org

• More information about the ReGeneration 2012 Summer Jam www.regeneration.org.nz/summer-jam

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Mosque Shooting Response: Ban On Military Style Semi-Automatics And Assault Rifles

Military style semi-automatics and assault rifles will be banned in New Zealand under stronger new gun laws announced today, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says... Related parts used to convert these guns into MSSAs are also being banned, along with all high-capacity magazines.

“An amnesty will be put in place for weapons to be handed in, and Cabinet has directed officials to develop a buyback scheme...All semi-automatic weapons used during the terrorist attack on Friday 15 March will be banned." More>>

RNZ Report: No Mention Of Right-Wing Threat In 10 Years Of GCSB/SIS Docs
There is not one specific mention of the threat posed by white supremacists or right-wing nationalism in 10 years of public documents from the Security Intelligence Service or the GCSB. More>>

Two Minute Silence Friday: Auckland Mosques Opening Their Doors To All
Mosques in the four corners of Auckland will open their doors on Friday night for people of all faiths to gather in remembrance of the 50 lives lost in the Christchurch shootings. More>>

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK
For the Latest: Scoop Search - Christchurch
 

Gordon Campbell: On The School Climate Strike

Locally, the school strike has won a ton of support for bringing climate change to the fore. Yet the strikers don't want mere expressions of support. They want action. More>>

ALSO:

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels