Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


International Cooperation Results in Strong Sentence

Today an Auckland man, Travis Jay Hulme, who had been found with thousands of images and movies depicting bestiality and abuse of children has had an appeal for home detention rejected and will serve 22 months jail. He was sentenced last year but appealed arguing for home detention instead.

The prosecution came about through police action in Luxembourg in Europe who contacted Interpol in Wellington. Interpol then contacted the censorship Compliance unit of the Department of Internal Affairs who duly carried out an investigation and raided the offender’s house in Massey, West Auckland.

Alan Bell, Director of ECPAT Child ALERT says ”This is a good demonstration of international cooperation between law enforcement agencies. It shows that no one is beyond the reach of the law. People who persist in accessing illegal child sex abuse sites should take this as a clear signal that their activities are being monitored and they are not safe from the law just because they are contacting overseas sites.”

Customs seized one computer and found 63 movies and 1416 images of "teen/adult material", 58 movies and 20 images of bestiality and 17 movies and 1964 images of children in sexual poses or activity. A laptop searched had 18 gigabytes of material including 11,000 images of child sex, and movies of pornographic cartoons and bestiality.

“This is a gross abuse” says Bell. “The decision by the judge to deny the appeal and to enforce the jail sentence is warranted and should serve as a signal to other people indulging in this illegal activity. These children are real and feel the pain of being abused and the people that contribute to this industry only create more demand for new victims to be abused.”

Justice Wylie rejected the appeal saying that home detention would not have satisfied the deterrent aspect required by such serious offending.

*******

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

No Voda/Sky: Commission Declines Clearance For Merger

The Commerce Commission has declined to grant clearance for the proposed merger of Sky Network Television and Vodafone New Zealand.

The Commission’s assessment focused on the impact of the proposed merger on competition in both the broadband and mobile telecommunications markets. To grant clearance, the Commission would need to be satisfied that the proposed merger would not be likely to substantially lessen competition in any market in New Zealand. More>>

 

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial To Be Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together tomorrow to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial Dedication and Civic Memorial Service starts at 12 noon tomorrow, February 22, at the Memorial site on the Ōtākaro/Avon River, in the area bordered by the Montreal Street Bridge, Durham Street, and Cambridge and Oxford Terraces. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news