Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Early release of Policy decisions to help community

Early release of Policy decisions to help community
For immediate release: Monday 26 March 2012

Water quality, land use and the coastal environment provisions of the Bay of Plenty Regional Council’s proposed Regional Policy Statement (RPS) have been released early to help inform the community on policy direction.

The Regional Council believes this information will assist the community in making submissions to the draft Ten Year Plan 2012 – 2022, which opens for submission tomorrow.

The RPS provides high-level policy direction for regional, district and city plans across the region. The draft Ten Year Plan is being released on Tuesday 27 March for consultation with the community and stakeholders.
Bay of Plenty Regional Councillor Raewyn Bennett, who chaired the proposed RPS Hearing Committee, said she believed it was the first time a Council had taken the step of releasing this type of policy information early.

“While the RPS is very close to being finalised, we decided it was prudent to release this information early,” Councillor Bennett said.

“We’d like people who make submissions on the draft Ten Year Plan to be informed on the policy context of this significant spending.”

Councillor Bennett said the RPS Hearing Committee heard from 98 submitters for 17 days during September and October last year. A total of 183 submissions and 57 further submissions were received on the proposed RPS.

“This has been a thorough process and we have heard from a lot of people, which is great as it demonstrates the significant interest there is in the community about helping Council to get policy direction right,” Councillor Bennett said.

“The Regional Council has listened to the community’s concerns around the water quality of the region’s lakes, rivers and streams. Its decisions on the proposed Regional Policy Statement are intended to implement a framework for reducing nutrients entering catchments at risk, with a focus on Lake Rotorua in particular,” she said.

Councillor Bennett said that included in the RPS water quality and land use proposals were stronger references to the importance of soil as a resource, and that water quality was to be enhanced to meet the values associated with the water’s use and protection. Council’s decisions required a reduction in the levels of nutrients entering the region’s water bodies.

A variation to the Proposed RPS to make further changes to the coastal environment provisions will be considered in May before submissions are called for. Those changes will see the landward boundary of the coastal environment identified and areas of outstanding natural character mapped.
“Releasing the coastal environment provisions early will enable the variation to the proposed RPS to give effect to the New Zealand Coastal Policy Statement 2010 in light of the Council’s decisions,” Councillor Bennett said.
Key changes to the coastal environment provisions include the importance of coastal access for all and how ‘appropriate’ coastal development may be decided, more detail about mangrove management and a new policy discouraging hard protection structures to reduce coastal hazard risks. A new policy also provides for ports and their infrastructure.
The Hearing Committee’s recommendations on the rest of the Proposed RPS will be presented to the Regional Council in June and the Council’s decisions are expected to be notified in early August.
Decisions on the Proposed RPS are subject to appeal by submitters to the Environment Court. Submitters have 30 days to appeal any decision.

The draft Ten Year Plan and Proposed RPS are available on the Regional Council website www.boprc.govt.nz. Ten Year Plan submissions opened on Tuesday, 27 March and close at 4pm on Friday, 27 April.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Drone Strikes And Judith Collins‘ Last Stand

The news that a New Zealand citizen was killed last November in a US drone attack in Yemen brings the drones controversy closer to home.

To the US, drones are a legitimate response to the threat posed by the al Qaeda organisation and its franchisees... To the US, the drones carry the added advantage of not putting US troops at risk on the ground, and minimises the need for putting them in large numbers in bases in the countries concerned, always a politically sensitive point.

The counter-argument, well articulated by security analyst Paul Buchanan on RNZ this morning, is that this particular drone attack can be said to amount to an extra-judicial execution of a New Zealand citizen by one of our military allies, in circumstances where the person concerned posed no threat to New Zealand’s domestic security. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Policies: Labour’s Economic Upgrade For Manufacturing

Labour Leader David Cunliffe has today announced his Economic Upgrade for the manufacturing sector – a plan that will create better jobs and higher wages. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Life And ACC Work Of Sir Owen Woodhouse

With the death of Sir Owen Woodhouse, the founding father of the Accident Compensation Scheme, New Zealand has lost one of the titans of its post-war social policy. More>>

ALSO:

Bad Transnationals: Rio Tinto Wins 2013 Roger Award

It won the 2011 Roger Award and was runner up in 2012, 2009 and 08. One 2013 nomination said simply and in its entirety: “Blackmailing country”... More>>

ALSO:

Select Committees: Tobacco Plain Packaging Hearings

The Stroke Foundation is today backing the Cancer Society and Smokefree Coalition who are making oral submissions to the Health Select Committee in support of proposed legislation to remove of all branding from tobacco products. More>>

ALSO:

Milk: Oravida Asked For Cabinet Help

New evidence released by New Zealand First today reveals Justice Minister Judith Collins used her position to manipulate the Government to help her husband’s company, Oravida, after the Fonterra botulism scare, says New Zealand First Leader Rt Hon Winston Peters. More>>

ALSO:

With Conditions: Ruataniwha Consents Approved In Draft Decision

The Tukituki Catchment Proposal Board of Inquiry has granted 17 resource consents relating to the $265 million Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme in a draft decision that would open more of the Hawke’s Bay to irrigation. More>>

ALSO:

Fast Lanes, Campervans: Labour 'Making The Holidays Easier For Kiwi Drivers'

The next Labour Government will make the holidays easier and journeys quicker for Kiwi families driving on the roads, says Labour Leader David Cunliffe. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Royalty And Its Tourism Spin-Offs

Ultimately the Queen’s longevity has been one of her most significant accomplishments. A transition to Prince Charles while the monarchy was in the pits of public esteem in the mid to late 1990s would have been disastrous for the Royal Firm. Far more congenial representatives have now emerged... More>>

ALSO:

Privacy (Again): ACC Demands Excessive Privacy Waivers

Labour: “This is just another example of ACC under National deliberately acting to deny treatment and compensation... Those who did fill in the form have effectively been victims of yet another ACC privacy breach. This time Judith Collins knew it was happening..." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news