Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Flood risk work on hold - Hamilton City Council apologises

Flood risk work on hold - Council apologises

30 April 2012

Hamilton City Council’s Mayor and Councillors are apologising to Hamilton residents for their recent mailout to property owners regarding flood risk, and have put the current flood risk related consultation on hold while more detailed work is undertaken.

This follows 28,000 letters being sent last week to Hamilton households highlighting their properties could be at risk of flooding in the event of a severe one in 100 year storm in the city.

Mayor Julie Hardaker and Councillors have called a halt to the flood related feedback process currently underway as part of the city’s review of its Draft District Plan. The remaining feedback sought around the Draft District Plan for High Voltage Lines, Business and Central City, Ruakura Structure Plan and Significant Natural Areas, Cultural Sites, Heritage Buildings and Significant Trees will continue.

Council will complete full assessments of properties to determine in more detail the impact of the flood modelling work on those identified as being at risk, and will then communicate that information to property owners in a thorough and better communicated way.

Commenting Mayor Julie Hardaker says: “I apologise on behalf of the Council to the people who have received letters about flooding. This has been a very poor and unnecessary process. We got it wrong and I accept responsibility for that."

Further letters were sent over the weekend to around 450 property owners about high voltage transmission lines, and Mayor Hardaker confirmed she and Councillors were not told about these until after the fact.



However Mayor Hardaker confirms: “Council is required by the Government to give effect to the National Policy Statement by protecting these high voltage line corridors, and Council has no option but to come up with planning rules to satisfy that.”

“In addition I will be asking the Chief Executive to look at how this happened so we can learn from it and do a much better job in the future.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Mosque Shooting Response: Ban On Military Style Semi-Automatics And Assault Rifles

Military style semi-automatics and assault rifles will be banned in New Zealand under stronger new gun laws announced today, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says... Related parts used to convert these guns into MSSAs are also being banned, along with all high-capacity magazines.

“An amnesty will be put in place for weapons to be handed in, and Cabinet has directed officials to develop a buyback scheme...All semi-automatic weapons used during the terrorist attack on Friday 15 March will be banned." More>>

RNZ Report: No Mention Of Right-Wing Threat In 10 Years Of GCSB/SIS Docs
There is not one specific mention of the threat posed by white supremacists or right-wing nationalism in 10 years of public documents from the Security Intelligence Service or the GCSB. More>>

Two Minute Silence Friday: Auckland Mosques Opening Their Doors To All
Mosques in the four corners of Auckland will open their doors on Friday night for people of all faiths to gather in remembrance of the 50 lives lost in the Christchurch shootings. More>>

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK
For the Latest: Scoop Search - Christchurch
 

Gordon Campbell: On The School Climate Strike

Locally, the school strike has won a ton of support for bringing climate change to the fore. Yet the strikers don't want mere expressions of support. They want action. More>>

ALSO:

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels