Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Central Plains Irrigation scheme all go

26 July 2012

Central Plains Irrigation scheme all go

Final consents for the Central Plains Water (CPW) scheme have received the green light from the Environment Court, and CPW will now move ahead with the first stage of the scheme between the Rakaia and Waimakariri Rivers.

The Court’s approval of the consents has been welcomed by CPW Chairman, Pat Morrison, who called it “a fantastic decision for Canterbury.”

“We’re extremely pleased and excited about being able to advance with this important project. The Court’s decision was the last of the roadblocks before us and we can now begin to make real progress.

“It has been a long process over 10 years, and a lot of work by many people, but this outcome is going to be of real significance to Canterbury as a whole.”

He expected the full scheme would add about 1100 jobs to the region and boost Canterbury’s economy by more than $1 billion annually.

The irrigation network will ultimately service 60,000 hectares of farmland between the Waimakariri and Rakaia Rivers.

The sale and purchase negotiations for the main canal route would now happen alongside the design phase, said Mr Morrison.

CPW would need to raise funds from its shareholders, investors and lenders to build the project.

Trust Power’s Lake Coleridge water storage scheme would be part of the overall irrigation project, storing water in the winter to irrigate in the summer.

Selwyn District Council has earmarked in its annual plan a loan of $5m which would help pay design costs for the $105m first stage.

CPW has applied for a further $5.6m from the Ministry of Primary Industries’ Irrigation Acceleration Fund. About $1m of CPW shareholders’ money would also contribute to the planning fund.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news