Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Open top double-decker resumes Christchurch tours

News release
Monday, October 22, 2012

Open top double-decker resumes Christchurch tours

New Zealand’s only open top double-decker bus resumes its tours around Christchurch this week as its owners celebrate an awarding winning first year of operation.

Mark and Nikki Gilbert, who together run Hassle-free Tours, brought the distinctive 1964 Routemaster bus to Christchurch last year and it, along with a closed top double-decker, has proved a big hit with visitors to the city.

Lonely Planet, in its just released Best in Travel guide, which places Christchurch at number six in an influential list of Top 10 Cities for 2013, suggests that Hassle-free Tour’s double decker bus tours are one of the best ways for visitors to explore Christchurch.

“Lonely Planet is the travellers’ bible so to get a mention in their guide is fantastic. There suggestions carry huge sway with travellers so we could not have asked for a better start to our second year of running the double-decker tours,” Mark Gilbert says.

Lonely Planet’s endorsement of Hassle-free Tours caps off a successful month for Mr Gilbert.

Earlier this month he won the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Young Tourism Entrepreneur Award.

The award is recognition of the leadership and entrepreneurial flair Mr Gilbert has demonstrated since starting his business in 2003 when he was just 23.

The company now has five-purpose built vehicles to take passengers around the Canterbury high country and three double-decker buses and expects to carry 17,500 passengers this year.

The road to success though has not been easy.

Immediately after the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake, the company’s visitor numbers plummeted by 80%, but the company took quick action to continue operating and retain staff.

They introduced the double-decker bus tours of Christchurch and also started offering charter tours. Hassle-free Tours also developed new tours from Akaroa for the cruise market and targeted the domestic market with special offers and promotions.

“The earthquakes forced us to re-think our business but we were determined to continue offering visitors to the region a high-quality experience and we are thrilled that we have managed to do that. Christchurch has a very interesting story to tell and we’re committed to being part of the story-telling,’’ Mr Gilbert says.

For more information on Hassle-Free Tours' double-decker bus tours of Christchurch check out <<http://www.hasslefreetours.co.nz.>>

- Ends –

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news