Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

New Block of Cuba St to Host its First Event

Press Release

5 November 2012

New Block of Cuba St to Host its First Event

The recently landscaped northern block of Cuba St between Wakefield and Manners Streets will host its first event on Saturday 1 December.

The event is the “Civic Crafts” market, which features elegantly presented beautiful and creative items, and will be open from 10am to 5pm. The landscaping design specifically caters to market stalls, and local events manager Martin Wilson has been looking forward to trialling the space. Wilson says, “The intention is to enhance this central part of our city with a beautiful presentation of attractive and interesting items.“

Wilson has run several “Civic Crafts” markets previously, all held in Civic Square in the early 1990s. Seeing the appeal at that time of those outdoor crafts markets, WCC encouraged Wilson to run a regular weekend market in Civic Square, but after two summers the wind eventually won that battle. “Market-based events have a pattern of being one-day events in Wellington, as it’s too hard to try to compete with the wind on a regular basis. We’re prepared to take the risk if its only one day! The recent advent of vege markets, which are waterproof, has blossomed, and other indoor boutique and craft markets are becoming established through the hard work of their managers. Markets are a fun and attractive part of our weekend activities and trading patterns.”

The date selected is the day before the Thorndon Fair, so travelling and local stallholders can choose to get an extra day’s trading that weekend, or to hedge their bets on the weather.

Wilson says the site is intended to be used as an events site, although this market will not be advertised as an event. “We want to make the city look attractive, and provide something for the public to enjoy. This block is well designed to host these stalls beside the footpaths.” There is already a 10km speed limit for cars in that block, but having any mix of cars and pedestrians can pose a serious safety risk, so WCC and the event managers are taking suitable extra precautions to ensure the safety of the public.

In the future the city can look forward to this block hosting, or being part of, other major events. The pedestrian-friendly landscaping was partly a trade-off for losing the Manners Mall pedestrian area to bus lanes.

Wilson is a Cuba St regular, having started the Upper Cuba Street Carnivals in 1986, and more recently circulated a proposal for a Latin “Carnaval de Cuba” in Cuba St for next Easter 2013.

Further details and stall applications are available at:

www.capitalproductions.co.nz


ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Fallout From The Barclay Tape

This is hardly a case of cleaning out your desk and being turfed out onto the pavement.

As others have pointed out, the disgraced Clutha-Southland MP will remain on the public payroll for three months until the election, and for three months afterwards. More>>

 

Ombudsman: Canterbury Schools Reorganisation Mishandled

An investigation into the Canterbury schools reorganisation after the February 2011 earthquakes has found significant gaps and flaws in the Ministry’s engagement and communications with schools and communities. More>>

ALSO:

Law Commission: Contempt Report "Protects Right To Fair Trial"

The proposed Act limits what news media representatives and bloggers can report on court proceedings, but it also makes clearer than the current law where the line is between contempt and freedom of expression. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Our Refugee Intake (And Uber’s Woes)

On figures released this week, there are currently 65.6 million people worldwide who have been displaced from their homes by war, famine or other external causes… More>>

ALSO:

IGIS Report: GCSB Support For Groser WTO Bid Not Illegal

“The inquiry has found that the GCSB did not act unlawfully or improperly in providing assistance to the New Zealand government campaign”, Ms Gwyn said. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: Pike And Houses

There were questions on Pike River mine re-entry after new video from inside the drift was released over the weekend. English maintained a human effort would not be feasible irrespective of any future coalition demands from NZ First. He said the government would continue to work with families on non-manned re-entry. More>>

ALSO:

Flogging A Dead Horse: NZ First Seeks New s59 Referendum

10 years on from the so called “anti-smacking” law - NZ First calls for a binding referendum. NZ First MP Tracey Martin told TVNZ’s Q+A programme that the law change has had a “chilling effect” on NZ parents including herself. More>>

ALSO:

Always Interesting: Internet Party Has New Leader

The Internet Party has a new leader: Suzie Dawson... She currently resides in Moscow, Russia, where she has applied for temporary asylum due to severe persecution she reports being subjected to by those whose corruption she worked to expose.More>>

 
 
 
 

Opening The Election Supporters

 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election
 
 
 
  • PublicAddress
  • Pundit
  • Kiwiblog