Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Police seek information after attempted abduction

Police seek information after attempted abduction

Christchurch Police are appealing for sightings of a red car in the Prebbleton area late yesterday afternoon, after an alleged attempted abduction of a young boy.

Police say a boy of primary-school age was walking in Elmwood Drive around 5.00pm yesterday [Wednesday 7 November] when he was grabbed from behind.

Detective Sergeant Craig Farrrant says it appears the alleged offender, a male, attempted to drag the boy down Elmwood Drive towards a waiting vehicle.

"We understand the boy has managed to grab a stick and fight back, and managed to break free and run to his home nearby.

"The alleged offender is reported to have run off."

The boy was not injured in the incident.

Detective Sergeant Farrrant says the alleged offender, a male possibly in his teens, may be linked to a red, four-door sports type vehicle.

"We are anxious to hear of any sightings of vehicles or activity in the area around Elmwood Drive and Prebbleton School late yesterday afternoon," he says.

"At this stage this appears to be a one-off incident and we do not believe there is any cause for residents to be concerned.

"However we also urge residents to continue to be vigilant, and to report any suspicious activity to Police."

Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Sergeant Farrant at Christchurch Police on (03) 363 7400.

Alternatively, to provide information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Max Rashbrooke: A Failure Of Measurement: Inside The Budget Lock-Up

Shortly after the embargo lifted at 2pm news organisations started filing reports claiming that health, and to a lesser extent housing and education, were the ‘big winners’ out of the Budget. It failed to take into account the fact that in most cases the apparent increases were in fact cuts. Because of the twin effects of inflation and population. More>>

ALSO:

DOCtored Figures: Minister Clarifies DOC Budget

“Commentators have overlooked the fact $20.7m of that perceived shortfall is new funding for Battle for our Birds 2016, provided for in last week’s Budget...” DOC also has approval in principle to carry over a further $20m to 16/17 due to unexpected delays in a number of projects. More>>

ALSO:

For The Birds: Gordon Campbell On The Budget

Budgies, so their Wikipedia page says, are popular pets around the world due to their small size, low cost, and ability to mimic human speech. Which is a reasonably good description of Finance Minister Bill English eighth Budget. . More>>

Max Rashbrooke On The 2016 Budget

The best label for this year’s announcement by Bill English might be the ‘Bare Minimum Budget’. It does the bare minimum to defuse potential political damage in a range of areas – homelessness and health are prime among them – but almost nothing to address the country’s most deep-rooted, systemic social problems. Indeed the Budget hints that these problems may get worse. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bank Scandals (And Air Crashes)

Last month, the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) filed proceedings against Westpac over activities that have some distinct echoes of the Libor scandal. More>>

Budget: Health Funding Must Keep Up With Need

NZNO: “The nursing team has been doing more with less for years. It’s getting to the point that we’re really worried about our colleagues, our patients, our jobs and the level of health care available for people in our country." More>>

ALSO:

Emissions Inventory: Time For The Government To Do The Right Thing

It’s time for the National Government to step up and do the right thing to reduce climate pollution as data shows New Zealand’s greenhouse gas emissions are higher than ever, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Budget 2016: More Partnership Schools To Open

Seven new schools will join the eight Partnership Schools already open, along with further new schools opening in 2017. “The growth of this policy is a reflection of the high level of interest from educators and community leaders,” Mr Seymour says. More>>

ALSO:

No Correspondence With English: Did Brownlee Make Up Sale Of Navy Ships ‘On The Hoof?’

Having revealed that several Royal New Zealand Navy vessels have not left port in years, New Zealand First is now asking the Minister of Defence to prove he did not come up with the idea of selling HMNZS Taupo and Pukaki until the media asked him. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news