Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Mega Mitre Ten appeal dropped

Mega Mitre Ten appeal dropped


Prime Property, owners of 55-85 Curtis Street, have dropped their appeal against the High Court decision to stop a Mega Mitre Ten being built on the site. This also upholds the injunction, obtained just before Christmas last year, to stop the dumping of 2,000 truckloads of landfill on the site. The site is presently zoned Open Space and Residential and lies in the middle of land in Northland and Karori also zoned Open Space and Residential.

One of the closest shops was the recently-closed Watts Hammer Hardware which shut down under the shadow of the threat of a Mega Mitre Ten being built a few hundred metres away.

A local resident of Northland, former Regional Councillor, Michael Gibson, says that the decision to drop the case was "thoroughly predictable - the property owners did not have a leg to stand on. They made this threat simply to cause a further six-month delay in the payment of costs to the Creswick Valley Residents' Association - a typical 'heavying' commercial ploy.

"What is amazing is that the City Council did not join in the Appeal, about the only sensible decision the Council has made in this long-running saga of ratepayer-funded disaster."

The way is now open for costs to be paid to local residents. These are expected to be scores of thousands of dollars.

"In the meantime, the City Council has been telling people that its legal costs are under $100,000 (actually $95,000) without mentioning that they are up for a lot more," says Michael Gibson.

The Council's solicitor, Sally Dossor, made the admission in an email to Mr Gibson during the week. It is unclear whether Councillors have yet been informed.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Generation Zero: Skypath Granted Resource Consent

Generation Zero is delighted and relieved that the ‘Skypath’ walking and cycling addition to the Harbour Bridge has been granted resource consent. More>>

ALSO:

Housing: Two New Auckland Special Housing Areas

Two new greenfield Special Housing Areas (SHAs) that will provide up to 1800 new homes in Auckland have been announced today by Building and Housing Minister Dr Nick Smith and Mayor Len Brown. More>>

ALSO:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news