Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Court Grants Interim Enforcement Order Over Saddle Hill


Court Grants Interim Enforcement Order Over Saddle Hill Quarrying


Dunedin (Thursday, 15 November 2012) – The Environment Court has granted an interim enforcement order to ensure that the ridge line of the Saddle Hill quarry is not changed before the Court considers an earlier application from the Dunedin City Council, seeking a decision on what quarrying can be lawfully carried out.

Earlier this month the DCC applied for the interim enforcement order to prevent any quarrying that affects the skyline.

DCC staff originally began investigating the quarrying activities in 2010. Following mediation, the DCC went to the Environment Court to determine the legal rights of quarry owners Saddle Views Estate Limited to continue quarrying on Saddle Hill.

In September 2012 the DCC was notified that quarrying had occurred that affected the skyline. Staff undertook an investigation and formed the opinion that the skyline had been changed on the north-western side.

Dunedin City Councillor Colin Weatherall, who has been closely involved in the lengthy process to try to resolve the overall issue, said work affecting the skyline should not occur before the Environment Court considers the rights to undertake quarrying.

“We want to ensure that there are no further changes to the landscape features of Saddle Hill before the Environment Court has had the opportunity to hear the case and make a decision.”

The interim enforcement order requires the skyline to remain unchanged until a decision is made on the application for a declaration.

The DCC’s application for a declaration from the Environment Court was lodged in 2011. While it has been subject to delays it is now expected the Environment Court will hear the application in mid-December.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news