Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Canterbury SCL opens new $10 million medical laboratory

Canterbury Lab logo


Canterbury SCL opens new $10 million medical laboratory

Christchurch takes another significant step toward full recovery today (Monday 19 November) with the official opening of the new $10 million Canterbury SCL [CSCL] medical laboratory in Harewood.

CSCL lost its building in the February 2011 earthquake and has moved four times in the past 18 months. CSCL Chief Executive Dr Peter Gootjes says, “It’s fantastic from a service efficiency point of view, and for our staff, to finally all be in one place in a new state-of-the-art facility.”

Last year CSCL won a Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) service contract and has been partnering with the CDHB owned Canterbury Health Laboratories [CHL] to deliver the integrated laboratory service in Canterbury from April this year.

Dr Gootjes says he’s very proud of the fact that the CSCL was able to maintain quality laboratory services since the February earthquake.

“But it hasn’t been without a lot of hard work and cooperation right across the sector under very trying circumstances. Our staff have really gone the extra mile but I would also like to thank the staff at CHL for the help given in making a smooth transition.”

Dr Gootjes said a significant component of the joint effort to get the new laboratory completed was the strong relationship that CSCL has with the CDHB.

“The alliance we have with the CDHB is unique. It is both visionary and innovative, which has allowed us to make a huge commitment to Christchurch and New Zealand. We have a secure vision for the future here with the Southern Community Laboratories Group holding long-term contracts to provide pathology services to not only Canterbury, but also the Southern, South Canterbury, Nelson Marlborough, Hawke's Bay and Lakes District Health Boards.”

Canterbury District Health Board chief executive David Meates says that the vision for lab services in Canterbury has been to develop a patient-centric service with two laboratories, but only one interface delivering a high quality, cost effective service.

“We have made great progress in bringing about that vision and this new lab facility represents another giant step in the right direction.

“Canterbury SCL is to be congratulated for their astonishing resilience and adaptability through some challenging times. Canterbury SCL, working alongside our other alliance partners have turned a challenge into an opportunity and are helping create a better laboratory service that will stay attuned to the needs of Canterbury people into the future,” says Mr Meates.

The SCL Group operates 14 pathology laboratories in New Zealand and has annual revenue in excess of $80 million. It is owned by Healthscope New Zealand.

The new laboratory in Harewood employs eight pathologists and 150 scientific, technical and support services staff. In total, SCL employs 750 people in its New Zealand operation. The new Christchurch facility will process approximately 2700 samples a day.

“The new building was delayed by a couple of months because of extra strengthening work,” Dr Gootjes says.

“We now have a building not only planned specifically for the efficient delivery of laboratory services, but one that is fully compliant with the earthquake code, providing peace of mind for our staff and patients.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news