Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


A New Era for Christchurch's Oldest Jeweller


Media Release
November 19 2012


A New Era for Christchurch's Oldest Jeweller


Christchurch's oldest family owned jewellery business will officially open their new store, Kennett Crafted Jewels, at 462 Colombo Street in the Sydenham Quarter on Wednesday November 21st. Kennett Jewellers are synonymous with Christchurch and were previously located in High Street where they traded on the same site for 131 years.

Anne Kennett said today “We are excited to be opening our doors again and we see this as a new chapter in the history of Kennett Jewellers. Being located in the Sydenham Quarter has the beginnings of the feel of High Street and will only get better as businesses establish themselves here, with the new building projects planned.”

Tony Kennett's grandfather established the business in 1880 and his father was born in a back room of the historic premises in 1889. Tony Kennett, 83, started working in the shop when he was 16 and came out of semi-retirement late in 2010 to help repair more than 40 grandfather clocks damaged in the September earthquake. His wife, Neroli joined him in the management of the business in the 1960's. Their building in High Street was one of many that were demolished late last year.

Kennett Jewellers has remained in the family through four generations and is now managed by Tony Kennett's daughter Anne. Along with offering their long established services for valuations, jewellery, clock and watch repairs, the new store showcases Anne's own jewellery brand – Kennett Diamonds – and will showcase some of New Zealand's talented jewellery designers including Boh Runga, Jo Luping and Lisa Hoskin.

Anne Kennett was the brainchild behind the new design concept of Kennett Crafted Jewels with the majority of trades people sourced locally and specifically within the Sydenham Quarter. “Many small businesses have struggled over the past two years so it seemed only right to use companies who are based locally.” she said.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news