Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Garden visit increase for Taranaki Garden Spectacular

Media Release 21 November, 2012

Garden visit increase for 25th Powerco Taranaki Garden Spectacular

Increased public interest in the 25th annual Powerco Taranaki Garden Spectacular meant there were nearly 2000 more garden visits recorded for the 2012 event compared to last year.

The 10-day festival running from October 26 to November 4 enjoyed sunny spring weather except for two days of rain and wind – and even then the visitors kept coming according to Armstrong Garden owner Alathea Armstrong.

“Our visitor numbers are well up on last year with a good balance of out-of-town visitors to local visitors,” says Mrs Armstrong.

“Even on the first Saturday when it was windy and rainy – they were still coming to visit the garden!”

Garden visit numbers for 2012 were nearly 54,000 compared to nearly 52,000 for 2011 which is a fantastic visitor number in a struggling economy, says Festival Manager, Lisa Ekdahl.

“As well as having 51 premier gardens in our line up, we put a lot of effort into creating great events for visitors to celebrate our 25th year,” says Ms Ekdahl.

“The Frocks on Bikes, Spring Fashion, Secret Dining or guest speaker events were either sold out or very well patronised. What really captured people’s imagination was the Peranakan Lights installation at Pukekura Park. We estimate thousands of people, especially families, visited this magical light display.”

Supported with funding from the TSB Community Trust, and by power generation company Agrekko and Hooker Pacific transport company, the Lights were inflated, illuminated shapes screen printed with designs of traditional Peranakan art from South East Asia - renowned for its rich and opulent designs in ceramics, embroidery, screen-printing and architecture.

Festival organisers estimate approximately 75% of visitors to the Garden Spectacular were from out of town – backed up by Taranaki Motel Association spokesperson, Deborah Tawa.

“The association’s members have seen a noticeable increase in visitor numbers to the Festival over the last two to three years,” says Deborah who is involved with the Brougham Heights Motel, the Fitzroy Beach Motel and the Amber Court Motel.

“It was a great festival this year for visitor numbers – and kind weather always makes a difference!”

Tour groups hit a record this year bringing nearly 250 visitors to the region from as far afield as Australia says Lisa Ekdahl.

“Each year, we aim to live up to being New Zealand’s premier garden experience,” says Ms Ekdahl.

“Already we are assessing some great new gardens for the 2013 event so we will continue to offer garden lovers new and inspiring gardens to experience.”

For more information, visit www.gardenfestnz.co.nz or enquiries@gardenfestnz.co.nz or call 00 64 06 759 8412


Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news