Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Blitz On Drivers Using Cellphones

Thursday November 22, 2012


Northland Police will be carrying out a "blitz" on drivers using cellphones.


The "blitz", which starts on Monday November 26, is part of a week-long nationwide police campaign to remind motorists of the legislation banning mobile phone use while driving.

The legislation was introduced three years ago.

Since then Northland Police have issued 361 infringement notices to drivers who have ignored the ban.

Drivers breaking the law face an $80 fine and 20 demerit points.

Although the legislation allows the use of hands-free mobile phones, police recommend that drivers minimise the potential for distraction by switching phones off while driving, or pulling over to make or receive calls. It is only legal to use a mobile phone to make, receive or end a call when driving if:

• the driver does not have to hold or manipulate the phone to do so (i.e. phone is completely voice activated), or
• the mobile phone is securely mounted to the vehicle and the driver manipulates the phone infrequently and briefly.

The rule does not allow drivers to create, send, or read text messages under any circumstances.

Northland Road Policing Manager Inspector Murray Hodson says the campaign aims to draw drivers' attention to the potentially life-threatening behaviour of using cellphones while driving.

"We will be out in force and all drivers detected using cellphones while driving will be stopped and action taken."

Mr Hodson says research has indicated that use of cellphones while driving increases the chances of having a crash.

During the "blitz", which finishes on Sunday December 2, police will also be checking to make sure that all vehicle occupants are wearing seat belts.

Mr Hodson says there are still a large number of drivers and passengers that don't wear seatbelts or ensure that children are correctly restrained in vehicles.

Northland also has one of the lowest compliance rates when it comes to use of seatbelts.

"Northland's road toll currently stands at 14, double the number of deaths our roads last year, and we don't want to see any more people die or get seriously injured."

Mr Hodson says with the summer holidays coming up, the roads will be getting busier and drivers need to make sure they drive safely.

"That includes not using cellphones, making sure everyone is wearing seat belts, sticking to the speed limit, driving to the conditions and not drinking alcohol before getting behind the wheel of a car."

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news