Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Maunganui Bay closed for further two years

23 November 2012

Maunganui Bay closed for further two years

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) today announced that Maunganui Bay will be closed to fishing for all species except kina for a further two years.

Maunganui Bay, on the Cape Brett Peninsula in the Bay of Islands, was first closed to all fishing except kina on 1 December 2010 for a two-year period. Ngati Kuta and Patukeha ki Te Rawhiti, the two resident hapü, have requested a further closure as they consider that more time is required to allow depleted stocks in Maunganui Bay to continue rebuilding.

The two hapü have maintained a traditional rähui (closure) over Maunganui Bay since March 2009, due to their concern about the depletion of fish stocks. The further closure provides ongoing statutory support for the traditional rähui.

Temporary closures in the North Island are established under section 186A of the Fisheries Act 1996 at the request of local tangata whenua. They can be put in place if the closure will improve the availability and/or size of fisheries resources in the area, or recognise a customary fishing practice in that area.

David Scranney, Spatial Allocations Manager at MPI, says kina has been excluded from the temporary closure because the available information shows they are abundant in Maunganui Bay.

Spokesperson for the two hapü, Robert Willoughby, says that they are encouraged by the widespread support from the local community for this initiative, which shows the positive outcome that can be achieved when communities work together.

“Maunganui Bay has always been an important customary fishing area for our people. We consider that this further temporary closure will assist with regeneration of fish stocks in the area, not only for customary purposes but also for the benefit of the wider community. It will be especially helpful to species that are continuing to establish around the artificial reef formed by scuttling the ex-frigate Waitaha/Canterbury in the Bay in 2007,” Robert Willoughby says.

Maunganui Bay will remain closed until 30 November 2014 to the take of all fish, aquatic life and seaweed, except kina.

Fishery officers will continue to patrol and enforce the temporary closure. Fines up to a maximum of $100,000 apply to anybody caught breaching it. Members of the public are encouraged to call 0800 4 POACHER (0800 476 224) if they see anything suspicious at Maunganui Bay, or elsewhere.

Ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Mt Eden Prison: Serco Inquiry Extended

A two month delay to the Government investigation into prison fight clubs shows the extent of problems within the Serco circus, says Labour’s Corrections spokesperson Kelvin Davis. More>>

ALSO:

Health And Safety: Late Addition Of National Security Provisions A Concern

The New Zealand Law Society has expressed its significant concerns at the last-minute addition to the Health and Safety Reform Bill of provisions for a closed material procedure for court proceedings where national security is involved. More>>

ALSO:

Rugby And Beer: World Cup Alcohol Bill Passes

ACT MP David Seymour’s Sale and Supply of Alcohol (Extended licensing hours during Rugby World Cup) Bill completed its third reading by 99 to 21... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Flag Campaign

So far, the public has treated the government’s flag campaign with something between disinterest and disdain. Most New Zealanders have instinctively seen through the marketing hype involved. More>>

Change For 2017: Local Govt To Decide On Easter Sunday Trading

The Government is to enable local communities, through councils, to decide whether retailers can open on Easter Sunday, Workplace Relations and Safety Minister Michael Woodhouse announced. More>>

ALSO:

(And Targets Worse Than Australia's): Foresters Abandoning Emissions Trading Scheme

The Government’s gutting of the Emissions Trading Scheme has caused foresters to leave and emissions to rise, says Labour’s Climate Change spokesperson Megan Woods. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news