Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Cellphone ‘blitz’ starts Monday

23 November 2012

Cellphone ‘blitz’ starts Monday

Hutt City Council is supporting a ‘blitz’ by police on the use of cellphones while driving from this Monday to 2 December.

All drivers caught using cellphones while driving (unless using a hands-free device) will be stopped and action will be taken.

The penalty for using a cellphone while driving is a fee of $80 and 20 demerit points.

Hutt Valley acting police Area Commander Shane Cotter says the week-long ‘blitz’ is intended to refocus drivers' attention on this “risky and potentially life-threatening behaviour.”

“The reality is when your attention is distracted by the phone, you’re less focussed on controlling the vehicle, and won’t be as quick to react when something unexpected happens,” he says.

Council’s road safety coordinator Jan Simmons says in the three years since the ban on cellphone use has been in place, cellphone use while driving has been identified as a significant cause in 18 crashes in the Hutt Valley.

“Some drivers continue to ignore the law or have become complacent. I want to encourage the public to help police combat this issue by reporting drivers they spot talking or texting on a cellphone while driving,” she says.

Bad driving, including using a cellphone while driving, can be reported online via the police’s Community Roadwatch web page: www.police.govt.nz/service/road/roadwatch.html

For those without internet access, paper forms are available from police stations.

Statistics from the NZ Transport Agency released in July this year show since the ban there has been 424 crashes nationwide where cellphone use was a factor, resulting in 15 deaths, 24 serious injuries and 110 minor injuries.

Safe Hutt Valley is a group of organisations working together to improve safety across the Hutt Valley region.

The organisations involved are Upper Hutt City Council, Hutt City Council, ACC, Regional Public Health, Hutt Valley District Health Board, Āhuru Mōwai o Te Awakairangi (formerly known as the Hutt Valley Family Violence Network) and the police.

The main aims of Safe Hutt Valley are to reduce crime and family violence, improve road safety, reduce harm from alcohol, and prevent injury and suicide.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

IGIS: Report On Release Of NZSIS Information To Cameron Slater

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, Cheryl Gwyn, published her report on the inquiry into the release of NZSIS information to Mr Cameron Slater at a press conference in Wellington today...

The inquiry found the NZSIS released incomplete, inaccurate and misleading information in response to Mr Slater’s request, and provided some of the same incorrect information to the Prime Minister and the Prime Minister’s Office.

“These errors resulted in misplaced criticism of the then Leader of the Opposition, Hon Phil Goff MP. Mr Goff is owed a formal apology by the Service,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:


Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Auckland Unification: 'No IT Cost Blowout' (Just More Expensive)

Following discussion of an update on Auckland Council’s Information Services Transformational Programme at today’s Finance and Performance Committee, council has released the report publicly. More>>

ALSO:

Other Expensive Things:

Gordon Campbell: On The SAS Role Against Islamic State, And Podemos

Only 25% of the US bombing runs are even managing to locate IS targets worth bombing. As the NYT explains at length, this underlines the need for better on-the-ground intelligence to direct the air campaign to where the bad guys have holed up... More>>

ALSO:

Public Service: Commission Calls For Answers On Handling Of CERA Harassment

EEO Commissioner Dr Jackie Blue is deeply concerned about the way in which the State Services Commission has handled sexual allegations made against CERA chief executive Roger Sutton this week and is calling for answers. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Andrew Little’s Victory

So Andrew Little has won the leadership – by the narrowest possible margin – from Grant Robertson, and has already been depicted by commentators as being simultaneously (a) the creature of the trade unions and (b) the most centrist of the four candidates, which would be an interesting trick to see someone try in a game of Twister. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news