Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


HELP's 24 hour crisis phone line still under funded


MEDIA RELEASE

27 November 2012

HELP's 24 hour crisis phone line still under funded

“Ms Bennett has been misinformed – the ministries’ negotiations with HELP have been completed - leaving a shortfall of $116,000 for the 24 hour sexual assault phone line. HELP have not been contacted by any of the Ministries since 19th of November” said Leonie Morris, spokesperson for the Coalition for the Safety of Women and Children.

“It is outrageous that the Government is still not providing adequate and sustainable funding to HELP, support for sexual abuse survivors”

“One in five women are sexually assaulted or raped in their lifetime. HELP receives 230 calls a week from victims of sexual assault and rape. How many of these people will miss out on services over night, – the time when rape happens and when survivors are most in need of comfort and support?”

The Coalition is organising a flashmob at 5.30pm this Wednesday to pressure the Government to fund HELP‘s 24 hour sexual assault telephone crisis line.

HELP provides specialist sexual assault services – this is important as the wrong or inexperienced support and help can traumatise and damage victims of sexual violence.


“After stating in December 2011 that they were committed to ensuring sustainable funding to the HELP crisis and 24 hour phone service, the Government has come up with a package that under-funds the service by $116,000 – a lot of money for HELP – a tiny amount for the Government.”


Phone services for Auckland victims of sexual assault and rape will be drastically cut because of this decision. HELP will be forced to lay off specialist staff and cut services before Christmas.


“For victims of sexual assault and rape, the potential to suffer devastating mental health consequences is very high and early intervention must be seen as a survivor’s right. HELP provides this essential support.”


--


The Auckland Coalition for the Safety of Women and Children was developed in 2006 to strategise and work toward achieving the ultimate goal of safety for women and children in Auckland.

We have undertaken a number of innovative activities including a competition for young people to make a video for YouTube on violence against young women and a community development programme involving small businesses making a commitment to speaking out against domestic violence.

Members:

• Auckland Sexual Abuse HELP
• Auckland Women’s Centre
• Blow the Whistle on Violence
• Homeworks Trust
• Inner City Women’s Group
• Mental Health Foundation
• Mt Albert Psychological Services Ltd
• Rape Prevention Education – Whakatu Mauri
• SHINE Safer Homes in NZ Everyday
• Supportline Women’s Refuge
• Women’s Health Action Trust

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news