Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


South Island Man Claims $20.5 Million Prize

Media Release 28 November 2012

South Island Man Claims $20.5 Million Prize

A South Island man has come forward to claim his $20.5 million Lotto Powerball prize.

The man, who wishes to remain anonymous, bought his ticket on a whim whilst he was in Invercargill to participate in the Burt Munro Challenge.

“It was a spur of the moment decision to get a Lotto ticket,” he said. “I don’t play every week but I had a spare $20 in my wallet so though I would give it a go.”

The man then heard about the big Invercargill win on the Sunday and realised he had bought a ticket from the Windsor Stationery & Lotto store.

“I deliberately delayed checking my ticket as I wanted the magic of thinking I could be a millionaire to last a bit longer. I didn’t really think that I could be the winner, so I was completely stunned when I did look online and saw that I had right numbers.”

The man then rang his partner to share the good news. “She did not believe me. I do play the odd joke on her, so she originally thought I was having a laugh again.”

The man kept his $20.5 million ticket in his wallet, hidden in his sock drawer.

“I haven’t really been able to sleep – I kept getting up in the night to check that it is still there. It still feels a bit unreal really.”

The man has already contacted his bank and has been blown away by how much interest he will earn on his win.

“It’s enough for me and my partner to think about stopping work. Plus I can now really indulge my liking for vintage motorcycles. We also would like to plan some overseas travel – in style.”

The man’s winning ticket was sold at Windsor Stationery & Lotto. The Invercargill store has sold several winning tickets in its history, including two Strike Four prizes, six Lotto First Division prizes and one instant millionaire prize, as well as two Winning Wheel spinners.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Spy Update: Appointment Of GCSB Acting Director

GCSB Chief Legal Advisor Lisa Fong will become the Acting Director of the Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) from 15 February 2016, Minister Responsible for the GCSB Christopher Finlayson announced today. More>>

Protests Close Roads: TPP Signed In Auckland

“TPP was signed by Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the United States and Viet Nam.” More>>

ALSO:

Emails Behind 'Diplomatic Immunity' Case: Whitehead Report Released

“As previously indicated the conclusions reached by Mr Whitehead’s investigation are not unexpected but they are very disappointing,” Mr Mccully says. “At the heart of the matter is a single email, along with procedural shortcomings, which gave Malaysian officials the impression it would be acceptable for Mr Rizalman to return to Malaysia." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Treaty/TPP Overlap, And Iowa

The fears about the ISDS provisions in the Trans Pacific Partnership deal are well-founded. The reality is that there is a sharp uptick in the occurrence of ISDS litigation in developed countries, and even the right wing likes of The Economist have been souring on the process for some time. More>>

ALSO:

Christchurch Red Zone Offers: Fresh High Court Proceedings

Grant Cameron, Solicitor for the Quake Outcasts said “the action seeks judicial review of the Crown’s recent decision to make a fresh offer to purchase properties from uninsured property owners in red zones. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Post-Cabinet Press Conference: Waitangi And TPP

Prime Minister John Key on Tuesday said his office has received an invitation for him to visit the Lower Marae on Waitangi Day, but was waiting for a meeting of the Te Tii Marae Trustees. More>>

ALSO:

Flagged: 'Wrong Colour' Bridge Flag To Change

NZ First: Only 13 days after National trumpeted its legally questionable flag on Auckland Harbour Bridge, it is now coming down because it is the wrong colour... “Mr Key’s latest flag fiasco is another waste of taxpayers' money. Given it is coming down, down is exactly the location where it should remain. More>>

ALSO:

School's In: Children Head Back To School

“Across the whole of this year we expect 61,820 five year olds will begin their primary schooling for the first time,” says the Ministry of Education head of sector enablement and support Katrina Casey. More>>

ALSO:

Dog & Lemon: FBI Disagrees With NZ Government Over Police Chases

Multiple studies, quoted by the FBI, show that once suspects realise they're no longer being chased; they tend to slow down to normal driving speeds and therefore become far less of a risk. The FBI report also categorically rejected the argument that abandoning police chases meant ‘giving in’ to offenders. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news