Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Auckland’s ‘Sport City’ Reputation Gets Another Boost

Media release

29 November 2012

Auckland’s ‘Sport City’ Reputation Gets Another Boost

Auckland is proud to be today named host of the prestigious IRB Junior World Championship 2014, the world’s biggest rugby tournament outside of the full Rugby World Cup (RWC).

The event will see 12 teams and their supporters descend on Auckland for three weeks in June 2014, reprising the region’s hugely successful role as host of RWC 2011’s opening ceremony, pool and finals matches.

The IRB has confirmed North Harbour Stadium at Albany, and ECOLight Stadium, Pukekohe, will stage matches during New Zealand’s first ever hosting of the annual event. The hallowed turf of Eden Park – host of New Zealand’s 1987 and 2011 RWC final victories – is being considered for the 2014 junior final.

The tournament will be run by the NZRU, with the assistance of Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED), local provincial unions and stadium operators.

Auckland Mayor Len Brown says hosting recent major sporting events such as RWC 2011, the Volvo Ocean Race 2012 stopover and ITU World Triathlon Championships has displayed Auckland’s world-class credentials to the world – confirmed by being named ‘Sport City’ runner-up to London at the 2012 International Sports Event Management Awards this month.

“I am looking forward to Auckland staging a memorable and successful tournament in 2014 and showcasing our vibrant city to the world. Aucklanders welcome teams and supporters with open arms, providing them with a superb experience during their visit and creating a real buzz around the region. And like the other major events we have hosted, it’s a great chance for Kiwis to see some of the world’s top athletes perform,” says Mayor Brown.

ATEED will invest $1.45 million from its Major Events Fund into the tournament, matching the Government’s capped contribution for an event which an independent consultancy expects to inject $7.3 million to the Auckland region’s GDP.

“Visiting media and coverage will provide excellent exposure for our region, and the event will contribute to Auckland’s economic growth,” says Mayor Brown.

Jennah Wootten, ATEED acting General Manager Major Events, says the tournament is expected to generate 46,000 visitor nights for the region, from players, officials and fans.

“Hosting important international sporting events is a key economic driver, and this is another important win alongside the 2017 World Masters Games. Feedback from international fans and officials at RWC 2011, the ITU events and Volvo Ocean Race confirmed Auckland has the infrastructure, including transport, venues and accommodation, necessary to stage world-class sporting events.”

“RWC 2011 created important legacies for Auckland, such as a huge volunteer network and amazing visitor experience initiatives such as the Fan Trail and Fanzones. The experience of hosting last year’s huge event will be crucial as ATEED plans for the 2014 tournament.”

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news