Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Three retailers caught selling tobacco to a 15 yr old



November 28, 2012

MEDIA RELEASE

Three Mid Canterbury retailers caught selling tobacco to a 15-year-old

A tobacco controlled purchase operation held in Mid Canterbury this week saw three tobacco retailers sell tobacco to a 15-year-old.

Dr Alistair Humphrey, Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, says seven of the 10 retailers visited correctly asked the 15-year old for identification. When none was produced the seven retailers refused to sell cigarettes.

“Checking photo ID is an essential part of modern retail practice,” Dr Humphrey says.

“Retailers who sell products that are harmful to your health need to take their responsibilities very seriously and not put lives at risk in pursuit of profit.”


“Just asking their age is not sufficient. They need to be able to present legitimate identification because once you have sold to one underage person you are likely to attract many more.”

Dr Humphrey says further monitoring checks will continue across Canterbury to make sure retailers continue to obey the law.

The sale of tobacco and herbal smoking products to minors is viewed very seriously and the Ministry of Health’s policy is to issue an Infringement Notice or prosecute in appropriate cases. Under an Infringement Notice, the fee is $500 in the case of an individual or $1000 in the case of a body corporate. In the case of a successful prosecution, the maximum fine which can be ordered by the Court is $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for a body corporate.


The Ministry of Health now have 30 days to decide upon the appropriate penalty for the three retailers that broke the law by selling tobacco to a minor.



© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Christchurch Fires: Friday Morning Update

Slightly cooler weather conditions and higher humidity with some light rain having fallen early this morning is welcome relief for emergency services fighting the Port Hills fire in Christchurch..

It has been a quiet night with a few minor flare ups contained by fire crews. Thermal imaging is being used to identify hot spots. There is a lot of work to do to clean up the whole fire area and this will go on for several days.

Te Hapua Welfare Centre remains open with a small amount of people staying there. Nga Hau E Wha Marae and the Selwyn welfare centre have been closed. Police cordons are still in place and these areas are still considered dangerous. The situation is being constantly reassessed and we will provide further information as soon as it is available. More>>

 
 

Turnbull Visit: Leaders’ Talks Cement Trade Relations, Science Agreement

Mr English met with Prime Minister Turnbull in Queenstown today to discuss common approaches to bilateral and international issues, including trade and science and innovation. Mr English also thanked Mr Turnbull for Australia’s offer of support for those fighting the fires on the Port Hills in Christchurch. More>>

ALSO:

Youth Guarantee: Upskilling Fund Used For Retraining

News that one in five of the people enrolling in Youth Guarantee already hold qualifications at the level they’re enrolling in highlights the failure of the scheme to reach the disengaged young people it was set up to assist, says Labour’s Education spokesperson Chris Hipkins. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On What Trump May Mean For Us

So far not much effort has been put into tracing the possible implications for New Zealand of the stream of executive orders and tweets that have been pouring from the Oval Office. Unfortunately, we may not simply be drive-by rubberneckers at this car wreck for much longer. More>>

Pike River Select Committee: Solid Energy Chair Talks Resignation Over Re-Entry

Andy Coupe, chair of failed state-owned coal miner Solid Energy, said at a fiery select committee this morning that he would consider resigning if the government orders the company to re-enter the Pike River coal mine. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Candidacy Troubles

So its official. Greg O’Connor will indeed be Labour’s candidate in Ohariu and – as also signaled well in advance – the Greens will not be standing a candidate in the electorate. At this point, you have to question the validity of the Greens’ excuse – “we need to change the government” – for tagging along.... More>>

ALSO:

Post-Shooting Security: Guards Say WINZ Safety Protocols Unsafe

“The safety issue has moved from inside WINZ offices to outside where security guards are isolated in front of locked doors with nowhere to retreat if they need help,” says Len. More>>

ALSO:

PM’s Press Conference: Housing, Housing, Housing

Questions from the gallery focused on housing, asking about the Auckland Unitary Plan, the potential skills and resource shortage and whether NZ would seek help from overseas. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news