Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Dramatic drop in Auckland graffiti vandalism

News release

December 3 2012

Dramatic drop in Auckland graffiti vandalism


The latest audit of graffiti vandalism in Auckland shows levels of visible graffiti vandalism have dropped by one-third.

Improvements have taken place across the region, particularly in the Papakura, Henderson-Massey, Otara-Papatoetoe, Franklin and Waitakere Ranges Local Board areas.

The independent audit, conducted by Tasman Research and Consultation, found that overall Auckland scored 90 out of a possible 100 (with 100 indicating a complete absence of graffiti).

The Mayor says the results are testament to the Auckland Graffiti Vandalism Prevention Plan launched in June this year, which introduced a tougher approach to graffiti eradication and clean-up coupled with education and enforcement.

“I’ve always felt very strongly about graffiti vandalism. It impacts community pride, perceptions of safety and costs our ratepayers money. It’s fantastic to see significant progress and we couldn’t achieve this without the support of local communities,” says Len Brown.

“We are taking a direct approach to eradication, balanced with positive initiatives and education. I wholeheartedly encourage members of the community who are keen to get involved to look at opportunities such as Adopt-a-Spot and volunteering.”

Community Safety Forum Chairman Councillor George Wood says the results show Auckland Council is on the right track.

“The audit results are a resounding success and the continuing support from the community has been the key to our positive progress.”

Auckland Council now provides a seven day a week service for graffiti vandalism prevention services region-wide with 24-hour removal targets for graffiti vandalism and a two-hour removal target for graffiti vandalism deemed offensive along with pro-active patrolling areas across the city.

If members of the community are interested in getting involved, Adopt-a-Spot or volunteer call the Auckland Council call centre 09 301 0101.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news