Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Civic Opening of Toitū Otago Settlers Museum


Civic Opening of Toitū Otago Settlers Museum

Dunedin (Friday, 7 December 2012) – A day of celebration marks the civic opening of the country’s newest museum - Toitū Otago Settlers Museum in Dunedin.

After four years in the making and two years since the Museum closed its doors to complete its building phase, excitement is running high at today’s civic ceremony. The day’s events include a mihimihi and whakawatea, an official opening and opportunities for official guests to view the exhibitions.

The public is invited to take part in a weekend of opening celebrations for the Museum tomorrow and on Sunday. Starting at 10am on Saturday 8 December, the Museum will fling open its doors to welcome the community into its refurbished fold.

Dunedin Mayor Dave Cull, who officially re-opened the Museum today, says it will be a touchstone for the community.

“Most of us, of anything like my age, can recall the old style of museum where displays and exhibits had been put into glass cabinets at some indeterminate time in the past and had stayed exactly that way for the next several decades. The only new things that entered were the visitors. The only thing swept out was the dust.

“Toitū Otago Settlers Museum, on the other hand, has become more like an evolving database of snapshots, of historic vistas, of personal, family and cultural stories.”

Historical museums are a living archive – growing and recording as cities change.

Museum Director Linda Wigley is thrilled with the result of everyone’s hard work, passion and creativity.

“The project has considerably increased the size and scope of the Museum and we now have a world-class museum and a visitor attraction we can all be tremendously proud of.”

One of the first things people will notice when they enter the vast new reception area will be a pounamu touchstone and a state-of-the-art audiovisual display in the Museum's new Kāi Tahu exhibit.

The four-stage $37.5 million redevelopment project began in 2008 with the construction of a new building to house the museum’s collections for items that are not on display. This was completed in November 2009, providing a 3000sqm state-of-the-art facility which meets international standards for collections care. The second stage was the development of the New Zealand Rail Road Transport Bus Garage, the third stage the refurbishment of the existing brick heritage building and the fourth stage was creating the new entrance foyer featuring Josephine, the Museum's unique steam locomotive, the museum shop, Ironic @ Toitū Cafe and new function spaces.

The Museum first opened its doors in 1908, for the 60th anniversary of the founding of Dunedin and the Otago province, so it has been part of the community for more than 100 years.

Live music and dance from a wide range of cultural groups will feature at the Museum throughout the opening weekend and residents and visitors are encouraged to come along and take part in the festivities.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news