Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


More Nominations Needed – deadline approaching

Media Release Friday 7 December 2012

More Nominations Needed – deadline approaching

The Rebuild Christchurch Foundation’s Project Christmas has received over 100 nominations but needs more before Sunday December 16th when applications close.

Families struggling to provide a Christmas for their family will receive the goodies from Project Christmas in the week leading up to the 25th December.

Deon Swiggs from Rebuild Christchurch Foundation says he is confident that many of those nominated will have a much better Christmas thanks to the generosity of those making Project Christmas possible, including Sanitarium and State Insurance, He cites the following as a typical example of a nomination:

“After the earthquakes on 4th September, the family home was rendered uninhabitable. Two nights in a shelter, followed by a week in a motel, they finally found a rental they could all fit into, including their little dog Bandit.


Since then their problems have stemmed from a lack of action by their insurer to get on with repairing their home so they can move back in. The house is still as derelict and ruined as it was back then, and there is no definite start date for the repair process, if indeed it is actually able to be repaired.


This has taken a huge toll on the family - the first year their insurance paid their rent. Then they were able to claim the subsidy, however there is a shortfall which they are funding alongside the mortgage on their unlivable home.


As they have just entered their third year in limbo, it is becoming more depressing for them; their youngest just wants to go "home" - they all do. But they are stuck until some action from their insurer goes ahead. The toll this is all taking on their health, both mental and physical is exhausting them and I just don't know how they will manage to put a smile on for Christmas this year.”

“We are grateful for support once again from the Mainland Foundation, which together with the Sanitarium Marmite celebrity fundraising campaign “A Beautiful Struggle” www.abeautifulstruggle.co.nz we are confident we can support up to 300 people or families, helping them to have a better Christmas than they would otherwise have had.”

Deon Swiggs says more nominations are needed to spread the goodwill as far as possible.

ENDS

For further information please contact Deon Swiggs 0275794447 or deon@rebuildchristchurch.co.nz Nominations can be made on line on the Rebuild Christchurch website www.rebuildchristchurch.co.nz/project-christmas until Sunday December 16th.

Additional:

Last year the Foundation helped 76 families and the Foundation spokesman Deon Swiggs says this year the aim is to help many more.

The Rebuild Christchurch Foundation will be working alongside social agencies to ensure they are helping people and families who genuinely need and deserve support, but normally wouldn’t ask.

Nominations can be made on line on the Rebuild Christchurch website www.rebuildchristchurch.co.nz/project-christmas until Sunday December 16th.

About Rebuild Christchurch:

The Rebuild Christchurch Foundation was established to support and bring together the communities of Christchurch and Canterbury following the 2010/11 earthquakes.

About “A Beautiful Struggle”

The Rebuild Christchurch Foundation has found a novel way to raise funds this Christmas, through auctioning photographs of empty Marmite jars donated by New Zealand celebrities including Rachel Hunter, Sir Graham Henry, Jaquie Brown and Trelise Cooper.

Renowned Kiwi photographer Chris Sisarich, whose work has been exhibited at the MILK Gallery in New York, is collaborating with celebrities and the Rebuild Christchurch Foundation to capture images of 19 empty Marmite jars for a charity auction.

“The imagery inside each jar is extremely distinctive, it’s more than just an empty Marmite jar,” says Chris. “It’s evident that everyone has been scraping at the bottom to get every last bit out – I know I have – and I hope that other Kiwis are taking a moment to reflect on the difficulties of the past two years for Christchurch as they reach the bottom of their jars.

“It fascinates me that something like Marmite, which is part of the daily routine for many Kiwis has been elevated to the realm of artwork since the shortage. It shows just how iconic Marmite is in New Zealand.”

One original photograph of each celebrity’s Marmite jar will be framed with a signed lid, ready for auction via www.abeautifulstruggle.co.nz from 30 November to 9 December. Bidding for the artwork is expected to be fierce, but everyone can contribute with limited edition prints available for $25 from 20 November to 9 December. All proceeds will go to the Rebuild Christchurch Foundation.

One Kiwi happy to help is Greer Robson-Kirk, who says, “I love indulging in Marmite, so it was great to be able to donate my jar for a good cause. Knowing that the savoured last jar sitting humbly in the pantry is now being used to raise funds for Christchurch families at Christmas is a fantastic feeling.”

Deon Swiggs of the Rebuild Christchurch Foundation says, “We are delighted to be partnering with Marmite lovers to raise funds for our Christmas initiative. Many people in Christchurch are continuing to struggle following the earthquakes and can’t provide a Christmas celebration for their family as they have in the past.

“We will be working with social agencies to help families who need assistance but normally wouldn’t ask for it. Last Christmas we helped 76 families and this year we hope to support over 300.”

General Manager for Sanitarium New Zealand, Pierre van Heerden, says, “It is wonderful to see these last, treasured Marmite reserves used to raise funds for the Christchurch community, especially as the current shortage results from earthquake damage to the factory.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Tomorrow’s Speeches By John Key And
Andrew Little

The Key government has already kicked off the political year on a stridently ideological note, with Environment Minister Nick Smith choosing to lay all manner of sins at the door of the Resource Management Act.

Tomorrow, the government will wheeling out its best salesman – Prime Minister John Key – to sell its plans for state housing, which happens to be another of the government’s most contentious, most ideologically-driven policy packages. Presumably, Key will be trying not to double down on the rhetoric, and thereby leave room for Labour leader Andrew Little to sound like the centrist voice of reason.

Key will have his work cut out, though. More>>

 

Transport: Auckland Looks To Light Rail

The Board of Auckland Transport has called for an investigation into a light rail network, which could relieve traffic congestion on some of the region’s busiest roads. This stems from work in 2012 (the City Centre Future Access study) which responded to a government request to develop a robust and achievable solution for access to the CBD. More>>

ALSO:

RMA: Smith's Claims Don't Match Evidence - Greens

The Motu group’s research into the impacts of planning rules looked at the costs related to housing development but not the benefits of environmental protections and does not recommend significant changes to the RMA to reduce the cost of new house builds. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Similarities Between John Key And David Cameron

For years now, David Cameron has been the closest available thing to a mentor/analogue to our Prime Minister, such that Key watchers could be interested in an analysis of Cameron that appeared in the British press over the Christmas break. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Ian Fletcher Resignation & GCSB’s New Role

It may well be that after being shoulder-tapped in Queensland for the GCSB job, three years of living in Wellington has been enough for Fletcher and his family, given that the pending review of the GCSB would have required an even longer commitment from him. Three years of Wellington’s weather is enough for anyone... More>>

ALSO:

Ian Apperley: $10m Or $100m For New Wellington Council IT System?

I feel a Tui Billboard coming on. I commented the other day that it looked like the Council’s Ninth big project was a potential $100 million plus... The Mayor has responded: “I am reassured by the Chief Executive and by Anthony Wilson that the proposed budget is in the region of $10 million.” More>>

ALSO:

Southern Ocean:
Navy Intercepts Illegal Fishing Vessels

Foreign Minister Murray McCully today put illegal fishing vessels operating in the Southern Ocean on notice and vowed to take action against their owners. “As part of a multi-agency operation, the HMNZS WELLINGTON has intercepted two vessels claiming to be flagged to Equatorial Guinea, fishing illegally in the Southern Ocean.” Mr McCully says. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news