Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Community's help sought following cowardly attack

Community's help sought following cowardly attack

A 71-year-old Kawerau woman is in a serious but stable condition in hospital following a brutal and cowardly attack in the early hours of this morning (Saturday 29 January).

Detective Constable Ash Clements of Whakatane Police said they were keen to hear from anyone in the local community with information about the attack, which happened as the woman opened her door to a man about 1am, after mistaking him for a male relative she had been expecting to arrive late from overseas.

The man demanded cash before attacking the woman, leaving her covered in blood on the floor of her home, before then stealing her car. No cash was taken.

"This was a cowardly, callous attack on a defenceless elderly woman, and is a reminder of the need for all of to be careful when answering the door, even if we are expecting someone.

“Police don’t want to see a repeat of this type of attack and encourage anyone in the local community with information that may help us to catch this offender to contact us immediately, no matter how unimportant it may seem,” Mr Clements said.

“We’d particularly like to hear from anyone who may ay have seen anyone acting suspiciously in the River Road area at about 1am today.”

Mr Clements said the stolen vehicle had since been recovered and Kawerau police and CIB staff were currently completing forensic investigations.

Anyone with information can contact Kawerau Police, ph 07 323 1400, or Whakatane police, ph 07 308 5255. Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously via the free Crimestoppers phone line, ph 0800 111 555.

Follow Bay of Plenty Police on www.twitter.com/boppolice and www.facebook.com/boppolice

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Drone Strikes And Judith Collins‘ Last Stand

The news that a New Zealand citizen was killed last November in a US drone attack in Yemen brings the drones controversy closer to home.

To the US, drones are a legitimate response to the threat posed by the al Qaeda organisation and its franchisees... To the US, the drones carry the added advantage of not putting US troops at risk on the ground, and minimises the need for putting them in large numbers in bases in the countries concerned, always a politically sensitive point.

The counter-argument, well articulated by security analyst Paul Buchanan on RNZ this morning, is that this particular drone attack can be said to amount to an extra-judicial execution of a New Zealand citizen by one of our military allies, in circumstances where the person concerned posed no threat to New Zealand’s domestic security. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Policies: Labour’s Economic Upgrade For Manufacturing

Labour Leader David Cunliffe has today announced his Economic Upgrade for the manufacturing sector – a plan that will create better jobs and higher wages. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Life And ACC Work Of Sir Owen Woodhouse

With the death of Sir Owen Woodhouse, the founding father of the Accident Compensation Scheme, New Zealand has lost one of the titans of its post-war social policy. More>>

ALSO:

Bad Transnationals: Rio Tinto Wins 2013 Roger Award

It won the 2011 Roger Award and was runner up in 2012, 2009 and 08. One 2013 nomination said simply and in its entirety: “Blackmailing country”... More>>

ALSO:

Select Committees: Tobacco Plain Packaging Hearings

The Stroke Foundation is today backing the Cancer Society and Smokefree Coalition who are making oral submissions to the Health Select Committee in support of proposed legislation to remove of all branding from tobacco products. More>>

ALSO:

Milk: Oravida Asked For Cabinet Help

New evidence released by New Zealand First today reveals Justice Minister Judith Collins used her position to manipulate the Government to help her husband’s company, Oravida, after the Fonterra botulism scare, says New Zealand First Leader Rt Hon Winston Peters. More>>

ALSO:

With Conditions: Ruataniwha Consents Approved In Draft Decision

The Tukituki Catchment Proposal Board of Inquiry has granted 17 resource consents relating to the $265 million Ruataniwha Water Storage Scheme in a draft decision that would open more of the Hawke’s Bay to irrigation. More>>

ALSO:

Fast Lanes, Campervans: Labour 'Making The Holidays Easier For Kiwi Drivers'

The next Labour Government will make the holidays easier and journeys quicker for Kiwi families driving on the roads, says Labour Leader David Cunliffe. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Royalty And Its Tourism Spin-Offs

Ultimately the Queen’s longevity has been one of her most significant accomplishments. A transition to Prince Charles while the monarchy was in the pits of public esteem in the mid to late 1990s would have been disastrous for the Royal Firm. Far more congenial representatives have now emerged... More>>

ALSO:

Privacy (Again): ACC Demands Excessive Privacy Waivers

Labour: “This is just another example of ACC under National deliberately acting to deny treatment and compensation... Those who did fill in the form have effectively been victims of yet another ACC privacy breach. This time Judith Collins knew it was happening..." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news