Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Operation Brad - Waihi Beach stabbing, Release 3

Operation Brad - Waihi Beach stabbing, release 3

As the investigation into how a man visiting Waihi Beach from Australia suffered critical stab wounds early on New Year's Day heads into its second day. Police say it is crucial they speak to people before they leave the area.

Eastern Waikato Area Commander, Inspector Dana McDonald, said the 64-year-old man remains in a critical condition in Waikato Hospital's Intensive Care Unit with severe head injuries.

"Police investigating yesterday morning's attack commenced a scene examination yesterday afternoon that continued into the night and resumed this morning, assisted by ESR forensic staff.

"At the same time other officers are continuing an area canvas, going door to door speaking to people staying in the area who may have seen or heard something during the early hours of yesterday morning. It is this phase which is really crucial for us in piecing together events."

Police know that at the time of the incident, about 1am on Tuesday 01 January, there were a lot of people in the vicinity of where the man was attacked.

"Officers were moving large numbers of mostly young people on from the area around the surf club, the motor camp, Beach Rd and Ocean View Rd about the time of this incident and someone may have noticed something or someone suspicious."

To that end, Mr McDonald said it was very important that people leaving the area today, who may have seen something or who may have knowledge of what happened make contact with Police.

"Waihi Beach's normal population is around 3000 and we know this swelled to about 16,000 over the period between Christmas and New Year's Eve. Many of those people will be heading back home today, possibly with information vital to our investigation.

"We have set up a mobile Police Station at the scene of yesterday's attack, on the corner of Beach and Ocean View Roads where people can make contact with the enquiry team or they can phone 07 858 6200 and leave their contact details and a member of the enquiry team will contact them."

Alternatively information can be left anonymously with Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

"This is a tragedy for the man's family and in fact the wider Waihi Beach community and it is important that anyone with any information makes contact with the enquiry team either directly or through Crimestoppers."


End

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pacific Spying: Mass Surveillance Of NZers Confirmed By Former GCSB Director - Contradicting PM John Key

Scoop Editor Alastair Thompson Reports: Yesterday morning former GCSB Director Sir Bruce Ferguson confirmed mass surveillance of New Zealnders in the Pacific is taking place as revealed in the latest Snowden leaks investigated by Nicky Hager. In 2013 John Key told press gallery reporters that in the event mass surveillance was found have been conducted by the GCSB, he and the director of the GCSB - his childhood friend Ian Fletcher - would resign. As the controversy deepens a year and half later Fletcher has already resigned. But will Key? More>>

Gordon Campbell: Legal Fudging Of The GCSB Revelations

As many have noted, the Hager/Snowden revelations of the spying by our security agencies on our Pacific neighbours and allies is a virtual re-run of the pre-election debate. It is a situation where the government (a) stonewalls, (b) baldly asserts that mass surveillance is not occurring despite the Snowden evidence that it is, and (c) claims that the GCSB actions were lawful. Yet as Greens Co-Leader Russel Norman says, this can be true only if the legislation passed last year by the Key government has made the mass surveillance of New Zealanders – and the related handing over of their private data to the NSA – lawful. More>>

Latest:

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Women's Day, March 8: It’s Time For Men To Step Up For Gender Equality

UN Women is launching the HeForShe campaign in New Zealand at the International Women's Day Parliamentary Breakfast, and is calling on New Zealand men — including politicians and community and sports leaders — to show their commitment to gender equality by signing up to this global campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Teina Pora Wins Appeal: Gordon Campbell On The Privy Council Decision

The quashing of the convictions of Teina Pora for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992 has shone a spotlight once again on a major gap in the New Zealand justice system... More>>

ALSO:

Urgent Bill Planned: MP Pay Rises To Match Public Service

Prime Minister John Key today announced an overhaul of the Remuneration Authority Act, tying MP salaries to those of the wider public sector, which will be passed under urgency. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: MP Pay Rises, Solid Energy, Iraq

Prime Minister John Key answered questions in his Post-Cabinet press conference about the Iraq deployment, Solid Energy and National’s decision to overhaul the Remuneration Authority Act. More>>

ALSO:

Worksafe: MSD Charged Over Work And Income Ashburton Shooting

WorkSafe NZ has laid one charge against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) in relation to the shooting at the MSD Ashburton office on 1 September 2014 in which two Work and Income staff were killed and another was injured. More>>

ALSO:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news