Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Hunt continues for Victory attacker

Hunt continues for Victory attacker

Police have today been canvassing households in the Victory area of Nelson where a 62 year old woman was savagely beaten and raped.

ESR scientists have also been conducting a scene investigation this afternoon.

The woman was working alone in a shade house at the Victory community gardens about 2.30pm.

She remains in hospital with substantial head and facial injuries, along with other lacerations and bruising to her body. Her injuries are not life-threatening.

The scene where the attack occurred is visible from a popular public walkway and Police believe it is likely people would have been using the walkway as the attack occurred. Police would like to speak to anyone who was on or near the Railway Reserve on New Year's Day about 2.30pm and who may have seen or heard something relevant to the investigation.

Detective Sergeant Ian Langridge of the Nelson CIB said Police would have a significant presence in the Victory area until the offender had been apprehended. However, he encouraged residents and those using the reserve to take reasonable precautions for their own safety.

Detective Sergeant Langridge also encouraged the offender to hand himself in.

"This man is a risk to himself and the wider community and I strongly encourage him to hand himself in," Detective Sergeant Langridge said.

He also cautioned the offender's associates that assisting a person to evade police, disposing of evidence or knowingly obstructing Police were offences.

Police hope to speak to the victim tomorrow. She remains in hospital.

If you have any information please call Nelson Police, Ph 546 3840. Anonymous information can be given by calling Crimestoppers, Ph 0800 555 111.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news