Careless Driving Charges For Newtown Car Crash In June 2012
Title: Careless Driving Charges For Newtown Car Crash In June 2012
Wellington Police can now confirm they have laid three careless driving charges against a 40-year-old male driver in relation to a car crash in Newtown in June last year.
The charges relate to injuries to an occupant of the other vehicle, as well as injuries to the 40-year-old female passenger of the Defendant's vehicle.
The female passenger was 31-weeks pregnant and her baby subsequently died after an emergency caesarean that night.
Detective Inspector Paul Basham says "The decision to lay these charges has not been taken lightly.
"Police have undertaken a through investigation which has been subjected to an independent legal review.
"The legal review has confirmed that charges should be laid given the circumstances.
"While this will be a difficult time for the family, Police believe the matter should be put before the Court for final determination", said Detective Inspector Basham.
The man will appear in the Wellington District Court tomorrow, Wednesday 9 January 2013.