Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Demolition Begins On Lyttelton Tunnel Control Building

11 January 2013

NZ Transport Agency - Southern Region

Demolition Begins On Lyttelton Tunnel Control Building

Work will get underway on Monday (14 January) on the demolition of the badly earthquake-damaged Lyttelton Tunnel Control building.

The building, which sustained serious structural damage as a result of the September 2010 and February 2011 earthquakes, has been classified as dangerous and will be demolished under the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Act 2011.

The NZ Transport Agency’s Southern Region State Highways North Canterbury Area Manager Barry Stratton says work will begin on Monday with some remedial work to make the building safe for workers to begin the strip out.

“This phase of the demolition work will take about two weeks, with the actual demolition of the three-storey building scheduled to begin later this month/early February and take about a month to complete.”

He says a traffic management plan will be implemented, however motorists using the tunnel road from next week are asked to take extra care during the demolition. “In particular, we need motorists to be aware of trucks carrying building material which will be regularly exiting the site throughout the day.”

Mr Stratton says NZTA made the decision to have the historic building demolished only after it had completed a full investigation of all feasible options to repair it. “The cost of repairing the building was $3.5 million more than building a new fit-for-purpose one.”

A new tunnel control building will be built, away from the rock fall path of the existing structure, that reflects both the heritage of the tunnel location and the nature of the old building which was designed by the late Peter Beaven.

He says design work for the new building is underway, with on-site construction expected to begin in May.



© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news