Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Queen Elizabeth Park’s 60th Jubilee Kicks Off

NEWS RELEASE

11 January 2013

Queen Elizabeth Park’s 60th Jubilee Kicks Off

All hail Queen Elizabeth Park!, as 60th Jubilee celebrations kick off for this gem on the Kāpiti Coast with a guided walk delving into the park’s rich heritage.

The Jubilee Walk at Queen Elizabeth Park, on 19 January, will take in the Yankee Trail – a route taken by US soldiers stationed in the area between 1942 and 1943 – and Te Ara o Tipapa (The Wetland Walk), which crosses wetlands, dunes and the only remaining piece of kahikatea forest on the Kāpiti Coast. The walk is free and open to everyone.

Named after Queen Elizabeth II and opened as the region’s first major park during the Royal Visit of 1953, Queen Elizabeth Park has the highest visitor numbers of any park in the regional park network.

“We’re so lucky to have this beautiful landscape right on our back doorstep,” says Nigel Wilson, the Regional Council’s Kāpiti Councillor and Chair of the Social and Cultural Wellbeing Committee. “The park contains precious ecological and geological remnants that provide a glimpse of Kāpiti Coast before human habitation, and is much-loved by the local and regional community. On any weekend you’ll see walkers, cyclists, equestrians, swimmers and picnickers, all enjoying the wonderfully varied natural environment.”

Cr Wilson says that community volunteers play a crucial role as advocates for the park and have put in what at times can be described as herculean efforts toward the park’s restoration.
“A prime example is the Friends of Queen Elizabeth Park who, along with the Regional Council, have planted over 200,000 native plants in key sites over the last nine years. Their superb work was recognised last year with an Encore Award for Fostering Community Partnerships, from the Regional Council, Department of Conservation and the Wellington Hawke's Bay Conservation Board.”

The Friends will join the Regional Council and local schools at the main Jubilee event – an Arbor Day planting on 6 June. The Regional Council will also partner with other community groups for events throughout the Jubilee.

JUBILEE WALK AT QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK

Saturday 19 January, 9.45am-11.30am
Queen Elizabeth Park, MacKays Crossing entrance (off SH1)
Celebrate Queen Elizabeth Park’s 60th Jubilee with a guided walk, led by the park ranger. Suitable for all fitness levels. This event is free and includes spot prizes. No booking necessary – just turn up.

OTHER EVENTS IN QUEEN ELIZABETH PARK UP UNTIL MARCH 2013:

7 Feb – Sport Wellington Buggy Walk, 10:30am-12pm
16 Feb – Harakeke Flax Weaving on the Coast, 9am-12pm
16-17 Feb – Capital Coast Surf Life Saving Champs, 10am onwards
3 March – Pedalling in the Park, 10am-12pm
9-10 March – Aeromodellers Open Weekend, 10am onwards
24 March – Have-a-go Orienteering, 10.30am-1.30pm

For full event details, visit www.gw.govt.nz/summerevents

Background Information About Queen Elizabeth Park:

The history contained in the park goes right back to geological time with examples still in evidence of gravel deposits from about 1.8 million years, in the Pleistocene age. The park’s dunes date from about 6,000 years ago. Māori lived in the area for hundreds of years, attracted to the coastal setting and plentiful food. In World War II the site hosted 20,000 US soldiers from June 1942 to November 1943. During the 1950s and 60s, recreational facilities were developed such as the Tramway Museum and a motorcamp. The Wellington Regional Council took over management in 1990, with the past few decades seeing an increase in tracks for walker and cyclists, and extensive ecological restoration through council-community partnerships. The park had over 297,000 visitors from June 2011 to July 2012.

PHOTO: Queen Elizabeth Park, with Kāpiti Island in the background

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Legal Fudging Of The GCSB Revelations

As many have noted, the Hager/Snowden revelations of the spying by our security agencies on our Pacific neighbours and allies is a virtual re-run of the pre-election debate.

Unfortunately, it is also a forerunner of the kind of “ debate” we can expect during the upcoming review of the security agency powers, in June. It is a situation where the government (a) stonewalls, (b) baldly asserts that mass surveillance is not occurring despite the Snowden evidence that it is, and (c) claims that the GCSB actions were lawful.

Yet as Greens Co-Leader Russel Norman says, this can be true only if the legislation passed last year by the Key government has made the mass surveillance of New Zealanders – and the related handing over of their private data to the NSA – lawful. More>>

Latest:

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Women's Day, March 8: It’s Time For Men To Step Up For Gender Equality

UN Women is launching the HeForShe campaign in New Zealand at the International Women's Day Parliamentary Breakfast, and is calling on New Zealand men — including politicians and community and sports leaders — to show their commitment to gender equality by signing up to this global campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Teina Pora Wins Appeal: Gordon Campbell On The Privy Council Decision

The quashing of the convictions of Teina Pora for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992 has shone a spotlight once again on a major gap in the New Zealand justice system... More>>

ALSO:

Urgent Bill Planned: MP Pay Rises To Match Public Service

Prime Minister John Key today announced an overhaul of the Remuneration Authority Act, tying MP salaries to those of the wider public sector, which will be passed under urgency. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: MP Pay Rises, Solid Energy, Iraq

Prime Minister John Key answered questions in his Post-Cabinet press conference about the Iraq deployment, Solid Energy and National’s decision to overhaul the Remuneration Authority Act. More>>

ALSO:

Worksafe: MSD Charged Over Work And Income Ashburton Shooting

WorkSafe NZ has laid one charge against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) in relation to the shooting at the MSD Ashburton office on 1 September 2014 in which two Work and Income staff were killed and another was injured. More>>

ALSO:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news