Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Update on Search of Clutha River for Missing Teenager

Update on Search of Clutha River for Missing Teenager

Jetboats and LandSAR volunteers have completed today's search of the Clutha River for missing local teenager, Blake Sinclair.

Eighteen-year-old Blake, who is from the Clutha Valley, went missing in the Clutha River on Saturday afternoon (12 January) while kneeboarding behind a boat.

Today was the third day that searchers have been looking for Mr Sinclair.

Four members of the National Police Dive Squad have spent today searching an area downstream from where Mr Sinclair was last seen. The squad is continuing its search until later this evening.

In addition to the Police Dive Squad, 18 jetboats each with three people on board, searched the river. Twenty-five local LandSAR volunteers conducted a land-based search along the river's edge.

All of the above teams have been searching areas downstream from the Waitahuna River mouth.

Five Otago Regional Council staff also assisted with the land-based search using quadbikes to search the Clutha River mouth and adjacent coastline area.

There has been no sign of Mr Sinclair.

Police say that the search will now be scaled down. Tomorrow morning a team of four jetboats will undertake a search along riverbank areas near to where Mr Sinclair was last seen. The family also plans to continue a private search.

Over the coming week, Police will continue to monitor the level and clarity of the Clutha River. The river level is expected to drop to normal capacity within the next two weeks. The situation in relation to any further search activity will be regularly assessed over the coming week.

Blake's family has been overwhelmed with the response and support from the community. Police would also like to thank all volunteers involved with the search.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

More Evidence - Scoop Press Conference Recordings:
PM's Post-Cab Presser 8/8/11
"at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ..."

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Schools, PPTA Sign Up: Primary Teachers And Principals Vote Down Govt Plan

Teachers and principals have voted overwhelmingly against the Government’s controversial “Investing in Educational Success” policy, including proposed highly-paid principal and teacher roles. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Usual Round Of Mud Slinging And Name-Calling

This week gave an interesting example of how hard it is to untangle the reality from the slanging matches. The issue that emerged early this week could hardly be more important. Does the government intend to cut spending in health, education and on the environment if re-elected, or not? More>>

Earlier:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news