Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Bus service streamlined for start of school year

MEDIA RELEASE

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bus service streamlined for start of school year

Horizons Regional Council is encouraging students travelling to Rutherford Junior High to catch the Castlecliff urban bus service in 2013 in place of its Castlecliff to Rutherford school bus.

With the 8am urban service running at the same time as the school bus and stopping on Totara Street at 8.35am, Horizons transport planner Wayne Wallace says the decision to discontinue the morning school service made sense for both passengers and the council.

“Since changes to the Wanganui bus timetable in 2012 we’ve seen a bit of a drop in numbers on the morning school service from Castlecliff to Rutherford and suspect some of those who were using it have already made the switch,” Mr Wallace says.

“Fares are the same for students across all our bus services at $1.20 per trip with a GoCard or $1.50 cash. Students just need to be in school uniform or carrying school ID,” he says.

The afternoon service from Rutherford Junior High will continue to operate, departing from the school gate at 3.05pm Monday to Friday.

Mr Wallace says in general Wanganui bus patronage is increasing. Numbers have risen by five per cent in Wanganui over the past four years and he’s looking forward to seeing further growth in 2013.

“Rising petrol, car maintenance and petrol costs are all compelling reasons to go by bus and I think as people start to think more about these and environmental factors we’ll start to see some good growth in the number of people choosing public transport,” he says.

Anyone who would like to find out more about the change or bus services in general is encouraged to get in touch with Horizons’ transport team on toll free number 0508 800 800 or visit Horizons’ website www.horizons.govt.nz

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news