Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


15 year old identified in relation to Kawhia Police assault

15 year old identified in relation to Kawhia Police assault

Waikato Police investigating last Friday's assault on a Kawhia Constable have identified a youth in relation to the attack and say their investigation is receiving support from not only locals but the wider community as well.

Western Waikato Area Commander, Inspector Paul Carpenter, said the 15-year-old boy has been referred to Youth Aid in relation to the assault on Constable Griffin.

"Our enquiry team was back in Kawhia yesterday and today and the investigation is progressing really well with information and images supplied by locals and from as far away as Taranaki, Fielding and Whangamata from people who were visiting the area at the time of the attack.

"The images and information provided are assisting us greatly in building an accurate picture of what happened before, during and after the event as we work to build up a case that will have it's eventual conclusion in court."

Mr Carpenter said he and other Police colleagues had been in regular contact with the assaulted officer who has been buoyed by the large scale level of public support.

"On the Otorohanga Police facebook page alone there has been over 450 get well soon, best wishes or other messages of encouragement not to mention support shown at a public meeting attended by over 300 people in Kawhia on Tuesday night.

"Such public backing is not just reassuring for the officer directly involved but for Waikato Police in general who will be looking at working with local leaders on developing strategies to assist the people of Kawhia to move forward."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

'Tea Break Bill' Passes: Gordon Campbell On Bad Labour Laws And Poor Safety

By co-incidence, one of the prime dangers of the government’s new employment relations law has been underlined by the release of the death and injury statistics among workers at New Zealand ports. These are highly profitable enterprises for the port owners.

The Port of Tauranga for instance, is expecting its current full-year profit to be between $78 million and $83 million and other ports are enjoying similar boom times – but they are also highly dangerous places for the people who work on or around the port premises. At the Port of Tauranga, there have been 26 serious accidents since 2011, and two deaths. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

No Charges: Outcome Of Operation Clover Investigation

Police have completed a multi-agency investigation, Operation Clover, into the activities of a group calling themselves “The Roast Busters”. The 12 month enquiry focused on incidents involving allegations of sexual offending against a number of girls in the Waitemata Police district and wider Auckland area... More>>

ALSO:

UNICEF Report: NZ Cautioned On "Stagnating" Child Poverty

An international report by UNICEF has found that child poverty rates in New Zealand have barely changed since 2008, despite similar sized countries significantly reducing child poverty during the recent recession. More>>

ALSO:

Funding Report: Two Pathways For Transport In Auckland

Commissioned by Auckland Council, the group was asked to investigate two possible pathways for raising $300 million per year ($12 billion over 30 years) to pay for the improvements needed to help fix Auckland’s transport system. More>>

ALSO:

Pay Equity: Equal Pay Win In Court Of Appeal

CTU: The Court of Appeal has made a historic decision paving the way for a substantial equal pay claim for aged care workers. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The TPP Finishing Line, And Amazon’s Woes

If the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal wasn’t such a serious matter, this would be pretty funny… More>>

ALSO:

TV3 Video: Three Die On Roads Over Labour Weekend

The official holiday period ended at 6am Tuesday, with three deaths on the roads during the Labour Day weekend. More>>

Employment Relations Bill: Govt Strains To Get Tea Break Law Through

The Government has been left with egg on its face - failing to get its much-vaunted, but hugely unpopular, meal break law passed in the first week of its new term, Labour spokesperson on Labour Issues Andrew Little says. More>>

ALSO:

Guns: Police Association Call To Arm Police Full Time

"The new minister gave his view, that Police do not need to be armed, while standing on the forecourt of parliament. The dark irony was that the interview followed immediately after breaking news of a gunman running amok in the Canadian parliament in Ottawa..." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news