Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


FIFA looks to Christchurch

18 January 2013
FIFA looks to Christchurch

A delegation from the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) will be visiting Christchurch this weekend to discuss hosting rights for matches as part of the FIFA Under 20 World Cup in 2015.

Delegates will be in Christchurch on Sunday 20 and Monday 21 January where they will meet with Council representatives as well as members of Christchurch’s tourism, sports and hospitality industries.

New Zealand Football won the right to host the 2015 Under 20 Football World Cup and are now working with FIFA to allocate matches to host cities.

Mayor Bob Parker says “Hosting matches will contribute to our reputation as an exciting and dynamic city, well on the road to recovery.”

Hosting even the minimum level of matches available would be worth a minimum of 6,800 international visitor nights and bring in potentially $4.3 to $5.4 million to the local economy.

Football is the world’s most popular sport and to have an event of this level will be a great opportunity to showcase the city. The event will be televised in over 200 territories around the world with a television audience of almost 470 million viewers.

Having the best young players in the world playing here will provide exciting viewing and a real stadium experience for Christchurch residents and football fans. It will also encourage youngsters to take up the sport and broaden the appeal of football throughout the community.

Recreation and Sport Manager John Filsell believes that compelling, high level competition will bring out the best of Cantabrian spirit.

“The community will benefit from seeing these athletes. Sport is a great way to meet people and socialise. It keeps you fit and has benefits for health, well being and happiness.”

The tournament will also give local enthusiasts opportunities to participate in the event.

“Players, sports-minded people and the local community will have a chance to help with event organisation through the various volunteer roles which we will be required to fill to make this event a success for Christchurch. It will help develop the sport within in New Zealand,” says Mr Filsell.

It is not the first time Christchurch has hosted FIFA events. “We hosted matches from the Under 17 Women’s World Cup in 2008 and the Under 17 Men’s World Cup in 1999. We have the experience and resources to host a great tournament here.”

A maximum of eight New Zealand cities will have the opportunity to host world cup events and Christchurch officials are optimistic that the city will win the support of FIFA delegates.

Mayor Parker says “Christchurch is generating a huge amount of interest internationally. We have acquired a reputation for resilience, resourcefulness and ingenuity.”

A decision on the allocation of matches is expected to be made towards the end of February.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Scoop Business: Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out.

The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill, it said in a statement. The casino operator had previously estimated the centre would cost $402 million, which it had agreed to cover in return for extensions to its Auckland gaming licence.

The company today lodged its application for a resource consent. More>>

 

Parliament Adjourns:

Greens: CAA Airport Door Report Conflicts With Brownlee’s Claims

The heavily redacted report into the incident shows conflicting versions of events as told by Gerry Brownlee and the Christchurch airport security staff. The report disputes Brownlee’s claim that he was allowed through, and states that he instead pushed his way through. More>>

ALSO:

TAIC: Final Report On Grounding Of MV Rena

Factors that directly contributed to the grounding included the crew:
- not following standard good practice for planning and executing the voyage
- not following standard good practice for navigation watchkeeping
- not following standard good practice when taking over control of the ship. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On The Pakistan Schoolchildren Killings

The slaughter of the children in Pakistan is incomprehensibly awful. On the side, it has thrown a spotlight onto something that’s become a pop cultural meme. Fans of the Homeland TV series will be well aware of the collusion between sections of the Pakistan military/security establishment on one hand and sections of the Taliban of the other… More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Satire:
The Politician’s Song

am a perfect picture of the modern politic-i-an:
I don’t precisely have a plan so much as an ambition;
‘Say what will sound most pleasant to the public’ is my main dictum:
And when in doubt attack someone who already is a victim More>>

ALSO:

Flight: Review Into Phillip Smith’s Escape Submitted To Government

The review follows an earlier operational review by the Department of Corrections and interim measures put in place by the Department shortly after prisoner Smith’s escape, and will inform the Government Inquiry currently underway. More>>

ALSO:

Intelligence: Inspector-General Accepts Apology For Leak Of Report

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, Cheryl Gwyn, has accepted an unreserved apology from Hon Phil Goff MP for disclosing some of the contents of her recent Report into the Release of Information by the NZSIS in July and August 2011 to media prior to its publication. The Inspector-General will not take the matter any further. More>>

ALSO:

Drink: Alcohol Advertising Report Released

The report of the Ministerial Forum on Alcohol Advertising and Sponsorship has been released today, with Ministers noting that further work will be required on the feasibility and impact of the proposals. More>>

ALSO:

Other Report:

Leaked Cabinet Papers: Treasury Calls For Health Cuts

Leaked Cabinet papers that show that Government has been advised to cut the health budget by around $200 million is ringing alarm bells throughout the nursing and midwifery community. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news