Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Fire Service warns against silencing fire alarms

Fire Service warns against silencing fire alarms


The New Zealand Fire Service is concerned there may be more buildings in Auckland where smoke alarms have been silenced by occupants, building managers, or building owners.

NZFS Auckland Area Commander Kerry Gregory said it was almost unbelievable Sunday morning's fire in a central city apartment building did not kill several people.

"Without an early warning system, people in a high rise building, have very little time to escape. Smoke can kill within a few minutes and fire travels incredibly quickly."

Mr Gregory said over the past few years Fire Service staff had become more aware of buildings where smoke alarms had been deliberately switched off, rather than repaired or replaced because they were too sensitive or being frequently triggered.

"Switching off a fire alarm is completely unacceptable and puts the lives of everyone in the building at risk. This is particularly dangerous in a building where people live and who could be sleeping when a fire breaks out"

He said the Commerce Street fire should serve as a warning to all those people who know of buildings where the alarms have been deliberately silenced by unauthorised people. "If you know an alarm has been silenced, the building owner should be notified immediately. You can also notify the Fire Service and we will take the matter further. This could include notifying the city council which has a range of legal powers under the Building Act regarding buildings that are considered dangerous."

"As more apartments are built and more people live in buildings with an alarm system, there is the potential for systems that are not working effectively to be silenced, rather that pay the false alarm charges or repair the system. People who live in these buildings and those who have responsibility for the alarms, need to heed the lesson from this weekend's fire," he said.

The investigation into the cause of the fire is still underway.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Budget '17: Budget Spends Down Future Surpluses

Tax cuts for every working New Zealander, targeted to low and middle income earners, more generous assistance for families and renters, and a massive spend-up on public services infrastructure mark Finance Minister Steven Joyce’s election year Budget.

The package of changes to income tax thresholds, the Working for Families programme, and the Accommodation Supplement is the Budget’s political centrepiece and will cost $2 billion a year. More>>

Scoop Full Coverage: of Budget Announcements & Reaction
Latest: Scoop Search

ALSO:

 
 

Auditor-General Stands Down For Investigation: Gordon Campbell On (Not) Taking Responsibility

So Martin Matthews, our current Auditor-General wishes he could have detected “earlier” the fraud that occurred on his watch at the Ministry of Transport. Hmmm. But he could have detected it earlier, surely? That’s the point. More>>

ALSO:

NGOs Pleased: Govt To Halt Collection Of Client Data

Brenda Pilott, the chair of ComVoices and national manager of Social Service Providers Aotearoa, congratulates the government on its decision to call a halt to the collection of individual client data until the concerns of not-for-profit service providers have been worked through. More>>

ALSO:

Gosh: Blasphemy Law Repeal Struck Down

Chris Hipkins, the MP who tabled a Supplementary Order Paper to add our Blasphemy Law to the Statutes Repeal Bill, said this was a "sad day for freedom of speech, tolerance, and leadership". More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Navy’s Dealings With Fat Leonard, And Twin Peaks

At an official level, our “she’ll be right” attitude routinely spills over into a keen resentment of anyone who suggests the outcomes may be less than satisfactory… The Navy has now gone one step beyond. It won’t even ask itself whether it did a good job. More>>

ALSO:

NZDF: Fifth Rotation Of Troops Heads To Iraq

The fifth rotation of New Zealand Defence Force troops left today for a six-month mission training Iraqi soldiers. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Demonising Of Iran

Will New Zealand still be willing to pursue its recent trade overtures to Iran, now that US President Donald Trump has used his speech in Riyadh to single out Iran as the main source of terrorism and instability in the Middle East? More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 

Opening The Election Supporters

 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election