Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Volvo Ocean Race to set sail for Auckland again

Media release
29 January 2013

Volvo Ocean Race to set sail for Auckland again

The Waitemata Harbour will again host the world’s elite adventure yacht racing crews, with confirmation today that Auckland has won a coveted stopover role for the next two Volvo Ocean Races.

Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED), on behalf of Auckland Council, led a bid to host both the 2014-15 and 2017-18 races, following a hugely successful stopover in last year’s race which saw the inner Waitemata lined with spectators on water and land, and helped Auckland to the silver medal at the prestigious Sport City Awards in 2012.

The event will see crews and support teams sail into Auckland for 15 days during each round-the-world race.

Auckland Mayor Len Brown says: “This is an exciting win for Auckland. New Zealand’s fabled sailing heritage, and the affinity Aucklanders have with the sea which surrounds us, makes this city the perfect Volvo Ocean Race destination.

“My goal is for Auckland to become the world’s most liveable city. A key component of us meeting that goal, and delivering on our ambitious economic transformation objectives, is to play host to major events such as the next two Volvo Ocean Races.”

ATEED will invest $5.5 million from its Major Events Fund into hosting the two races, which an independent consultancy expects to inject $7.49 million to the Auckland region’s GDP.

Jennah Wootten, ATEED General Manager Destination (acting), says today’s announcement is a fantastic way to start 2013’s major events programme.

“This was an extremely competitive bid process, with an ever-expanding list of rival countries trying to host the Volvo Ocean Race. Auckland winning the right to be a stopover for the next two races reflects ATEED’s growing global reputation for delivering major international events.”

She says the stopovers are expected to generate about 18,000 new visitor nights for the region, and significant international media coverage.

“Hosting important international sporting events is a key economic growth driver, and this is another important win to add to Auckland’s portfolio alongside other globally renowned events such as the 2017 World Masters Games and the IRB Junior World Championships 2014.

“Google statistics for New Zealand last year showed Volvo Ocean Race was the second highest trending search, which clearly indicates the level of interest and support here for what is one of the world’s great sporting adventures.

“The city has shown it has the infrastructure, particularly in terms of waterfront facilities, to successfully host the world’s most important sailing events.”

Team New Zealand entered the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12 on board Camper, and it is hoped there will again be a Kiwi challenge for the next event.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial To Be Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together tomorrow to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial Dedication and Civic Memorial Service starts at 12 noon tomorrow, February 22, at the Memorial site on the Ōtākaro/Avon River, in the area bordered by the Montreal Street Bridge, Durham Street, and Cambridge and Oxford Terraces. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news