Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


New urban village design competition


Tuesday 29 January 2013

Wide international interest in Breathe- new urban village design competition

Nearly sixty entries have been received for the international competition to design and build a new place for living in Christchurch’s Central City.

Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker is impressed by the response to the competition from both New Zealand and overseas entrants. “The number of entries has exceeded our expectations. We have had 36 entries from New Zealand as well as entries Europe, the Middle East and the United States,” he says.

“The new development will inspire and excite a new generation of residents to live within Christchurch’s Central City, where we are rebuilding what will be one of the most modern and liveable cities in the world.” he says.

The competition was open to any group that included a designer and a developer as the ultimate winners’ concept will be constructed on a site set aside built on the corner of Madras and Gloucester streets.

The new medium-density urban residential complex is to provide a variety of housing options and lifestyle choices based on the key principles of sustainability, affordability, innovation and a strong sense of community.

“Our new urban village will be an exciting place to live, right in the heart of the city; close to the Avon River/Otakaro precinct, across the road from the park-like communal green setting of the Frame and within easy walking distance of the new performing arts precinct, entertainment and retail areas and new employment opportunities.”

The new urban village is a joint Christchurch City Council, Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment, Te Rūnanga o Ngāi Tahu and CERA/CCDU development.

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s Chief Architect, Duncan Joiner said the level of entries demonstrates that the challenge of providing excellent medium density inner city housing is one that is currently capturing the world’s imagination.

“While only three concepts will be selected to progress to phase two, with the ultimate winner of that phase being built in Christchurch, other New Zealand cities, in particular Auckland, could also benefit from the design ideas and concepts entered in the competition.” he says.

The Judging Panel, which includes Kevin McCloud from British television programme Grand Designs, will review and adjudicate the entries with the three short-listed entries being announced on 28 February, 2013. Following the announcement the shortlisted entries and selected entries will be put on public display.

For further information on the competition and future updates: www.newurbanvillage.org.nz

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Scoop Business: Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out.

The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill, it said in a statement. The casino operator had previously estimated the centre would cost $402 million, which it had agreed to cover in return for extensions to its Auckland gaming licence.

The company today lodged its application for a resource consent. More>>

 

Parliament Adjourns:

Greens: CAA Airport Door Report Conflicts With Brownlee’s Claims

The heavily redacted report into the incident shows conflicting versions of events as told by Gerry Brownlee and the Christchurch airport security staff. The report disputes Brownlee’s claim that he was allowed through, and states that he instead pushed his way through. More>>

ALSO:

TAIC: Final Report On Grounding Of MV Rena

Factors that directly contributed to the grounding included the crew:
- not following standard good practice for planning and executing the voyage
- not following standard good practice for navigation watchkeeping
- not following standard good practice when taking over control of the ship. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On The Pakistan Schoolchildren Killings

The slaughter of the children in Pakistan is incomprehensibly awful. On the side, it has thrown a spotlight onto something that’s become a pop cultural meme. Fans of the Homeland TV series will be well aware of the collusion between sections of the Pakistan military/security establishment on one hand and sections of the Taliban of the other… More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Satire:
The Politician’s Song

am a perfect picture of the modern politic-i-an:
I don’t precisely have a plan so much as an ambition;
‘Say what will sound most pleasant to the public’ is my main dictum:
And when in doubt attack someone who already is a victim More>>

ALSO:

Flight: Review Into Phillip Smith’s Escape Submitted To Government

The review follows an earlier operational review by the Department of Corrections and interim measures put in place by the Department shortly after prisoner Smith’s escape, and will inform the Government Inquiry currently underway. More>>

ALSO:

Intelligence: Inspector-General Accepts Apology For Leak Of Report

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, Cheryl Gwyn, has accepted an unreserved apology from Hon Phil Goff MP for disclosing some of the contents of her recent Report into the Release of Information by the NZSIS in July and August 2011 to media prior to its publication. The Inspector-General will not take the matter any further. More>>

ALSO:

Drink: Alcohol Advertising Report Released

The report of the Ministerial Forum on Alcohol Advertising and Sponsorship has been released today, with Ministers noting that further work will be required on the feasibility and impact of the proposals. More>>

ALSO:

Other Report:

Leaked Cabinet Papers: Treasury Calls For Health Cuts

Leaked Cabinet papers that show that Government has been advised to cut the health budget by around $200 million is ringing alarm bells throughout the nursing and midwifery community. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news