Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Total fire ban in place for Rotorua district

News Release
Wednesday 30 January 2013

Total fire ban in place for Rotorua district

ROTORUA 30.01.13: A total fire ban has been put in place across the entire Rotorua District with immediate effect.

The fire ban is a joint move by Rotorua District Council, Pumicelands and Department of Conservation (DOC) rural fire authorities, with support from New Zealand Fire Service. It applies to all urban and rural areas of the district and DOC land.

Existing fire permits have been cancelled and no new permits or extensions are being issued during the period of the ban.

The only exceptions that would be considered are for genuine health reasons such as disposal of dead stock, or cultural reasons such as tangi, but residents would need to apply first to Rotorua District Council.

Acting Principal Rural Fire Officer for Rotorua District, Richard Horn, said all agencies had agreed that the ban was necessary at present because the very dry conditions meant there was an extreme fire risk.

“No fires are to be lit outdoors in the city, suburbs or country areas and this includes open fires, braziers, hangi and umu.

“Gas barbeques may still be used however extra caution is required. People need to be particularly careful with cigarette butts and farmers need to ensure electric fences are well maintained as a single spark could easily result in a fire.

“Anyone found contravening the fire ban will not only have the fire put out with the costs for fire suppression charged to them personally, but they would also risk prosecution,” said Mr Horn.

Bob Boardman, Department of Conservation’s regional Fire Officer, said DOC had now declared a Total Fire Prohibition across the Bay of Plenty and East Coast. The total ban on fires in the outdoors extends to all DOC lands and includes fire safety margins in the area covered by the Rotorua District Council.

"The great summer weather has pushed the fire risk into the extreme, meaning people need to be aware that one careless act could spark a devastating blaze", he warned. "As a result, only gas cookers and gas barbeques may be used in the outdoors on DOC lands, and then only with extreme care. All permits for outdoors burning are also cancelled." said Mr Boardman.

Rotorua mayor Kevin Winters said the total fire ban was entirely appropriate given the current dry conditions across Rotorua and the on-going lack of rain.

“Rotorua is tinder dry at present and the slightest spark could result in a major fire putting people and property at serious risk.

“I urge all Rotorua people and visitors to our district to comply with the ban and to take every possible precaution to ensure nothing they or their children do could cause a fire of any sort. The potential for loss of property or worse, loss of life, from a careless moment is just too horrific to contemplate.

“Please take special care with barbeques and cigarettes, and ensure matches and lighters are kept well away from your kids,” he said.

Mr Horn said anyone who sees a fire or notices smoke should immediately call the Fire Service on 111.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines



Gordon Campbell: On John Key’s Trip To Iraq

In the embedded press coverage on this trip, the absence so far of any evaluation of the wider context of what New Zealand thinks it is doing at Camp Taji has been striking. More>>


Labour: Parata Puts Brakes On Charter School Appraisal

“When the Ministry of Education recommended they compare the achievements of children at charter schools to those of their counterparts at state schools, the documents show Hekia Parata specifically prohibited them from doing so." More>>


Bad Day For Universities: Gun, Bomb Threats On Three Campuses

Dunedin Police are continuing their investigation into the threat made against the University of Otago. Staff are following a number of lines of inquiry, and police are working to verify the authenticity and source of the post. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On The TPP Deal Reached In Atlanta

Yes, the TPP has helped to knock a few points off the tariffs facing our exporters. Yet some of those alleged dollar gains may well have been made regardless over time – and without the negative baggage of the concessions in the non-trade areas (intellectual property, copyright extensions, investor-state dispute mechanisms etc) that the TPP deal also brings in its wake. More>> (Cartoon by Dave Wolland)

Public Summaries:


Wellington.Scoop: Serco – First The Prisons, And Now It Wants To Run The Trains

As the government continues its inquiry into Serco’s discredited administration of Mt Eden prison in Auckland, here in Wellington there’s further scrutiny of the British outsourcing company – because it’s competing to take over the running of our commuter trains. More>>


Pre-Signing: Gordon Campbell On The TPP Countdown

To date, the Key government has been unwilling to share any information about this TPP deal until it is too late for outraged public opinion to affect the outcome... the disclosure process is likely to consist of a similarly skewed and careful exercise in spin. More>>


Australia Deportations: English Relaxed On Immigration Centre Conditions

Labour's Annette King: “There have been numerous reports from inside these detention centres on just how bad conditions are... If they were being held in any other foreign jail, I imagine Mr English would be somewhat concerned. More>>


Schools: Achievement-Based Funding Would Be A Disaster

The Education Minister’s speech to the PPTA Conference raising the spectre of achievement data driving a new funding system would be disastrous, says NZEI Te Riu Roa. More>>

  • Video Out-Link - PPTA Annual Conference 2015 on Livestream (Q+A dicussion suggests funding would be directed to less successful schools.)

  • ALSO:

    ECE Report:

    Get More From Scoop



    Search Scoop  
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news