Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


ASB Classical Sparks returns

Thursday 31 January 2013


ASB Classical Sparks returns


The ever-popular ASB Classical Sparks – with its unique recipe of classical music, entertainment and fireworks – returns this year to North Hagley Park from 7.30pm–10pm on Tuesday 5 February.

A staple of the Christchurch summer, ASB Classical Sparks has perfected the synthesis of music and light and has been entertaining families for many years. This year’s concert, emceed by Mark Hadlow and conducted by Kenneth Young, continues the proud tradition: its rousing finale, a stirring rendition of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, will see the brilliantly-choreographed fireworks display accompanied by cannon-fire.

Mayor Bob Parker says this year’s ASB Classical Sparks is taking the hint from the rapturous reception given to last year’s event.

“Many popular acts are making a return engagement, including vocalists Rachel Doig, Anna Hawkins and Robert Enari, guitarist Graham Wardrop and pianist Hamish Oliver. The concert will showcase the extraordinary, 65-piece Christchurch Symphony Orchestra, as well as the NZ Army Band and a few surprises throughout the evening.

“As well as classics by Bizet, Verdi and Mozart, the musicians will be taking on modern compositions, providing a variety that will appeal to the whole family. We’re fully expecting standing ovations, encores and another great night that will lift the spirits.”

Those in a generous mood are encouraged to keep an eye out for collectors from The Order of St John – ASB’s chosen charity.

Parking is available in North Hagley Park via Harper Avenue for $3, and audiences are advised to arrive early to secure a parking spot and a good space on the lawn. The rain date is Wednesday 6 February – cancellations will be broadcast on The Breeze 94.5FM.

ASB Classical Sparks is a free event and is part of the Garden City SummerTimes festival. For more information please visit www.summertimes.co.nz

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City between Paterson Street and Buckle Street/Taranaki Street...

Parties specified under Section 149Q(3) of the RMA now have 20 working days to make comments on minor or technical aspects of the report. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Waitangi Tribunal: Report On The MV Rena

In its interim report, the Waitangi Tribunal has found that the Crown’s conduct in response to the grounding of the MV Rena on Otaiti (Astrolabe) reef breached the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi. More>>

ALSO:

Gaza: Wellington Protest For Palestine Calls For End To Bombing

Around 300 people gathered outside the Israeli Embassy in Wellington on Friday to protest Israel’s occupation of Palestine. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Failure To Prosecute The GCSB

So one hand of the state – the Independent Police Conduct Authority – has now washed the hands of its brother agencies, and declared that all hands are clean. Case closed. More>>

ALSO:

Illegal Search: Police Behaviour 'Reminiscent Of Tūhoe Raids'

"Māori will lose further trust and confidence in the New Zealand Police and the Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) if the recent incident in Stratford is not adequately addressed. This behaviour would not occur in Epsom or Khandallah so why should police think that such behaviour was acceptable in Stratford," says Chris McKenzie. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news