Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


SH30 at Ruato Bay to be closed overnight for investigation

31 January 2013


SH30 at Ruato Bay to be closed overnight for investigation works

State Highway 30 (SH30) Ruato Bay will be closed overnight for three consecutive nights so investigations can be carried out to determine an effective solution to stabilise the cliff face which caused a large slip last year and reduced a section of this road to one lane.

The NZ Transport Agency says the works will be undertaken at night to minimise disruption to traffic during the day when this road is much busier. The works which will be managed by the Rotorua District Council and will start from 10pm on Sunday 10 February and continue through to Wednesday 13 February finishing each morning at 5am - well before day time traffic builds up.

“Due to the limited space available the closure of SH30 at Ruato Bay is essential to allow the investigation works to be carried out that will determine what foundation needs to be designed for the new road”, says NZTA’s Bay of Plenty state highways manager, Brett Gliddon.

The section of road to be closed along SH30 at Ruato Bay (along the shores of Lake Rotoiti) will be near the Lake Okataina turnoff, approximately 20km from Rotorua city.

During this period road users are encouraged to alter their travel plans if they coincide with the closure times, or alternatively, if travelling to/from the Eastern Bay take State Highway 2 and State Highway 33 (via Paengaroa) to avoid the site altogether.

“A detour will be in place and drivers are asked to use SH2 and 33 (via Paengaroa) if travelling from Whakatane and Kawerau; or SH33 and SH2 if travelling from Rotorua to Whakatane. This is a longer distance, adding up to an hour to journey times so motorists will need to allow adequate time”, says Mr Gliddon.


He says, “There is no ideal time to carry out investigations and we need to get this work done so we can design and build a safe permanent solution.”

Following the investigation, the next process is for the preferred solution to be designed and the works tendered to a contractor to carry out the repairs.

It is likely that this construction work will require full closure of the highway, for periods during the day, over some weeks. The full closure is required due to very limited road and construction space available. The permanent repairs are likely to be underway by late April to July 2013, the road will remain a single lane with signalised lights controlling traffic until the works commence in late April.

Mr Gliddon says SH30 is an important link between Rotorua, Kawerau, Whakatane and the wider Eastern Bay of Plenty, it is also a key heavy vehicle route to the Port of Tauranga and ensuring the security of this road is vital for the Bay of Plenty’s economy.

Motorists wanting to find out more about these road works or the detour route should go to the NZTA’s website at www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/current-conditions ; or freephone 0800 4HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49).


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news