Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Mayor Calls On Aucklanders To Follow Fire Ban

News Release
1 February 2013

Mayor Calls On Aucklanders To Follow Fire Ban

The Mayor is appealing to Aucklanders to follow the complete fire ban that has been imposed across Auckland.

It comes as firefighters continue to be called out to scrub fires, both accidental and deliberate, in various parts of Auckland.

Auckland Council last week announced a complete fire ban, including Great Barrier, Kawau, Waiheke, and the other Hauraki Gulf Islands.

The Mayor says the ban continues to be necessary due to heightened fire danger and dry weather conditions.

“Both Aucklanders and visitors need to do their part by taking extra precautions and ensuring the ban is followed.” says Len Brown. “Clearly not everybody is following that advice.”

The total ban means all fires in the open air are banned. This includes rubbish fires, bonfires, backyard braziers, fireworks and cooking fires.

The ban will remain in place until the fire danger is no longer classed as elevated.

Urban areas are also included in the fire ban, which has the support of the New Zealand Fire Service.

Meanwhile the Mayor has paid tribute to everyone involved in battling the big fire that destroyed more than 100 hectares of bush on Great Barrier Island.

The fire started nine days ago and fire crews are still on site monitoring the situation and preventing flare ups.

“I’ll be heading over to the Barrier soon to personally thank those who went to extraordinary length to battle the big blaze,” says the Mayor. “Without the heroic efforts of the firefighters under the leadership of Bryan Cartelle, the effects of this fire could have been much worse, including damage to homes, businesses and the airport

“A big thank you too, to firefighters for their great work on other scrub fires around Auckland in recent days.”.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Earth Day: Global March To Defend Science In NZ Saturday

The March for Science movement emerged in the immediate wake of President Trump’s inauguration as he moved quickly to curtail the power of the Environmental Protection Agency and limit the ability of government agencies to communicate scientific evidence.

Since then it has broadened to “champion robustly funded and publicly communicated science as a pillar of human freedom and prosperity”. More>>

'Opening The Election' Video: Nicky Hager And Mike Joy On Science, Spin, And Society

In two videos relevant to the March for Science from Scoop's 'Opening The Election' forum, Massey University's Dr Mike Joy spoke about promoting science in the face of government spin and journalist Nicky Hager offered a checklist of issues to promote for an open civil society. More>>

 

Health Workers Respond: People's Mental Health Report Released

The People's Mental Health Review reinforces a recent YesWeCare.nz survey of 6,000 health workers, which found nine in 10 believe they don't have the staff or resources to deliver the care Kiwis need when they need it. More>>

ALSO:

More Mental Health:


Energy: Greens Launch Plan For Cheaper And Cleaner Electricity

$112 million for winter warm-up payments to help low-income households cover their power bills • setting a goal for 100 percent renewable electricity by 2030 (in average hydrological conditions) • an investigation into the electricity wholesale market. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Aged-Care Settlement

Until yesterday, a National government has always been the sworn enemy of women seeking justice in the workplace, in the face of gender-based pay discrimination. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news