Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Chance for extra say on Proposed Regional Policy Statement

Date: 05 February, 2013


Chance for extra say on Proposed Regional Policy Statement

The public is about to get another chance to make further comment on one of Northland’s most important local authority plans – the Northland Regional Council’s Proposed Regional Policy Statement (RPS).

The RPS must identify the significant resource management issues for Northland and set out how resources such as land, water, soil, minerals, plants, animals and structures will be managed.

Kathryn Ross, the regional council’s General Manager Planning and Policy, says Northland’s Proposed RPS runs to more than 160 pages, as well as more than 1200 pages of supporting documentation and maps.

She says a previous two month long period for public comment on the Proposed RPS ended late last year (subs: 03 Dec 2012), attracting 885 submissions.

“The most common submission themes included genetic engineering, mining, the mapping process identifying the region’s outstanding natural areas and coastal land and economic wellbeing.”

The next step is now a ‘further submission’ period, where people will have an opportunity to support - or oppose - those original submissions.

“It’s important to remember this period is designed to allow for further comment on the issues that have already been identified through previous submissions; it’s not an opportunity to raise new issues,” Ms Ross says.

She says the latest submission period will run for a fortnight, from Monday 18 February to 3pm Friday 01 March.

“If anyone needs help to understand how best to use this opportunity, regional council staff are happy to assist and can be contacted on (0800) 002 004.”

Ms Ross says once the latest submission period ends,a panel of three independent commissioners - which collectively boasts about 80 years’ resource management experience – will then hear from any submitters who wish to speak in support of their submissions – as well any objectors.

“The commissioners will then consider all submissions that have been made, along with recommendations from council staff before making recommendations to councillors on final decisions.”

Ms Ross says although it’s a Northland Regional Council plan, the Proposed RPS represents a great deal of work by councillors and staff from across all four local authorities in the region.

“Politicians from all three Northland district councils – as well as the regional council - played a key role in its development.”

She says as part of a lengthy process, regional council staff had worked closely with a seven-member committee of regional councillors, the Deputy Mayors of the Far North and Kaipara Districts and a senior Whangarei District Councillor.

“While the Proposed RPS doesn’t set rules itself, it does filter down into district and regional plans which contain the rules around how people, businesses and industry use Northland’s resources so it’s been really important to get that inter-council co-operation.”

There had also been invaluable input from key stakeholders, tangata whenua and the general public and the council was looking forward to more of it during the next phase of further submissions.

The Proposed RPS and supporting documents are available online via www.nrc.govt.nz/newRPS or as hard copies at regional council offices and at public libraries.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news