Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Christchurch City Council appreciates High Court ruling

Tuesday 5 February 2013

Christchurch City Council appreciates High Court ruling


Christchurch City Council appreciates the clarification yesterday’s High Court ruling has brought to the Council’s Earthquake-prone, Dangerous and Insanitary Buildings Policy.

Christchurch City Council General Manager Regulation and Democracy Services, Peter Mitchell says, “The ruling makes it clear the Council can still encourage people to structurally strengthen their building to 67 per cent of the New Building Standard (NBS).

“The only change is that we cannot use section 124 of the Building Act to compel building owners to strengthen their building to a level above 34 per cent of NBS. The target of strengthening a building to 67 per cent of New Building Standard still remains something for any building owner to consider and the Council will continue to encourage people to think carefully about structural strengthening.”

Last year the Insurance Council of New Zealand filed a 'Statement of Claim' with the High Court against the Christchurch City Council for a judicial review of the Council's decision to adopt the Earthquake-prone, Dangerous and Insanitary Buildings Policy which falls under the Building Act 2004.

In response to the earthquakes, in an extraordinary meeting on 10 September 2010, the Council adopted a revised Earthquake-prone, Dangerous and Insanitary Buildings Policy. A new structural strengthening target of 67 per cent of the NBS was at the centre of the revised policy.

Mr Mitchell says the Council also fully supports the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment’s Building Seismic Performance consultation, which includes a meeting in Christchurch on 19 February.

“The consultation will provide an important opportunity for the public to consider all the issues across New Zealand to do with earthquake prone buildings.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On The Kim Regime

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, the US had a very clear objective and eventually offered a quid pro quo of the removal of some of its own missiles from Turkey. This time, there’s no clarity about what the US is seeking, or offering.

It hasn’t helped that the US and the global media consistently agree on calling North Korea and its leadership “crazy” and “irrational” and urging it to “come to its senses”. When you treat your opponent as being beyond reason, it gets hard to comprehend what their strategy is, let alone work out the terms of a viable compromise. More>>

 

Recovery: Economic Impact Of Kaikōura Quake Revealed

The report details the impact on small businesses and tourism caused by disruptions to transport infrastructure and the economic impacts... The impact on New Zealand’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) over the first 18 months following the earthquake has been estimated at $450-$500 million. More>>

ALSO:

Human Rights Commission: Urgent Need For Action On Seclusion And Restraint

Chief Human Rights Commissioner David Rutherford says that while the report makes for sobering reading, the focus should now be on how the recommendations can be used to reduce the occurrence of seclusion and restraint in New Zealand and, in circumstances where it is necessary, to improve practices. More>>

ALSO:

CORRECTIONS (March 2017):

SCHOOL SECLUSION ROOMS (2016):

$11bn Capital Spend, New Debt Target: Steven Joyce On Budget Priorities

First, delivering better public services for a growing country – providing all New Zealanders with the opportunity to lead successful independent lives... And finally, we remain committed to reducing the tax burden and in particular the impact of marginal tax rates on lower and middle income earners, when we have the room to do so. More>>

ALSO:

JustSpeak Report: Bail Changes To Blame For New Billion Dollar Prison

In 2013 criminal justice spending was falling and the Government was mulling over what to spend the money on. 3 years later there are 10,000 people in prison and a new billion dollar prison is announced. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news