Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


National Advisory: Tsunami CANCELLATION

National Advisory: Tsunami - Potential Marine and Beach Threat CANCELLATION - Minor threat remains
No: 05
Issued at 2100 hours on 06/02/2013.

Issued by the Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (MCDEM).

Tsunami advisory cancelled:
The National Advisory: Tsunami Potential Marine and Beach Threat issued by MCDEM earlier today in response to the Santa Cruz Islands earthquake and local tsunami has now been cancelled.

The threat to most areas of New Zealand's coast has now passed.

However, a minor threat still remains on the West Coast from Taranaki to Milford Sound for the next 24 hours. Advice from GeoNet Tsunami Expert Panel is that there may be unusual water conditions e.g. local tidal surges and strong currents, especially during the early hours of Thursday 7 February. People should exercise caution and discretion before entering the water or going out in small boats.
Earthquake parameters:
Origin time: 0112 ZULU
NZ time: 1412 NZDT 06 FEB 2013
Co-ordinates: 10.9 SOUTH 165.1 EAST
Depth: 33 KM
Magnitude: 8.0
The above magnitude is provisional and may be increased or decreased as more seismic data becomes available.

This is the last message via the national warning system for this event.

This cancellation message has been issued to all local civil defence authorities, emergency services, other agencies and media.

This cancellation message will be broadcast under the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with public broadcasters.
NCMC status:

The National Crisis Management Centre (NCMC) is standing down from 2100 hours tonight. This event will continue to be monitored by the 24/7 MCDEM Duty Team.

Useful websites:
Issued by:

Message authorised by the National Controller, Civil Defence Emergency Management.
End of Message

© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news