Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Earnslaw Park Toilets To Start


Date: Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Subject: Earnslaw Park Toilets To Start

Work commences on Monday to develop a long awaited new toilet block at Earnslaw Park, Queenstown Lakes District Council general manager community services Paul Wilson said.

The project will commence with the demolition of the 29-year-old toilets to make way for a modern 10-unit block and small kiosk, currently the subject of public consultation (closing March 15).

Amalgamated Builders Limited from Queenstown has been awarded the $447,576 contract and will start site preparations on Monday - with the three trees in the immediate vicinity of the toilets (one inside the existing block) removed this week to make way for construction.

“We realise that the construction project will cause some disruption to visitors, residents and businesses and will be doing all we can to minimise the disruption and ensure the project is completed on time for the opening of the Winter Festival in June,” Mr Wilson said.

Beech Street would remain open during the project however there would be some localised detours for pedestrians during the demolition and materials delivery. There was potential for the road to be closed for a short period to allow the installation of the 12m diameter roof.

“We are conscious that it’s a popular spot during summer and plan to fence only the construction zone leaving the greater area of turf open to the public,” he said.

Temporary toilets would be available on site from Monday until after Easter and signs would guide visitors to the Marine Parade and Athol Street toilets, only 250m away.

“Council has received a significant amount of feedback, particularly in recent years that the current toilets needed to be replaced. We are delighted to get this new project underway. I’m confident the end result will be a quantum improvement in this high profile location,” Mr Wilson said.

The entire grass area of Earnslaw Park will be renewed immediately following the Winter Games in August.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news