Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Project Shotover Update

22 February 2013

Project Shotover Update

A desire to improve the affordability of major infrastructure projects will result in the Queenstown Lakes District Council being asked to consider an amended approach to the Wakatipu Basin wastewater treatment upgrade (Project Shotover) at next week’s full Council meeting.

"Focusing on cost-effectiveness to keep rates under control, while also ensuring the District has good quality infrastructure goes to the heart of the recent local government reforms" said QLDC Chief Excutive Adam Feeley, "And we need to re-assess the approach to delivering Project Shotover in light of this."

The $35.9M project was consulted on in last year's 10-Year Plan, and contemplates a two stage upgrade, including a treatment plant upgrade in 2015 ($27.1m) and disposal of treated wastewater to land in 2022 ($8.8m).

"Our infrastructure team has been working hard with technical experts; the Otago Regional Council (ORC); and other stakeholders, and now believe that a more affordable, but equally effective, staged approach that continues to deliver positive environmental solutions is possible.

QLDC opted to test staged options with the industry and late last year called for expressions of interest with a view to reducing costs.

Council received 17 responses and has been evaluating them.

“This has been an invaluable process, as it has highlighted that viable and affordable options exist for a staged upgrade. A critical factor will be Council’s ability to receive a staged consent from the ORC but they have been extremely cooperative to date and we believe this approach is feasible.”

"If there is agreement on a sensible approach to water quality levels in the medium term, we believe that the budgeted costs can be reduced," Mr Feeley said.

Council would be asked to support an application for a new staged discharge consent.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On The Greens Proposal To Gradually Lift The Minimum Wage

Heading into the election home stretch, voters have a clear choice about the best way to help low and middle income New Zealanders. They can do so by gradually lifting the minimum wage (as the Greens propose) or by a small tax cut, as the government seems about to announce.

The minimum wage boost – by 75 cents an hour to $15 in December, and then by gradual annual increments to $18 an hour by 2017 – that the Greens are talking about is just one part of a packet of employment measures that would include scrapping youth rates and the 90 day trial period, introducing a redundancy package of four weeks, offsetting any abatement effect of the policy package for those receiving Working For Families, and finally… ditching the exception made by the government (during the Hobbit negotiations) for workers in the screen industry, which denies them normal workplace safeguards and entitlements. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

2014 General Election: Voting Period Begins

The first votes for the 2014 general election will be cast today, Wednesday 3 September, as advance voting begins ahead of election day on Saturday 20 September. More>>

ALSO:

Two Dead, One Injured: Suspect Charged After Ashburton Shooting

Russell John Tully has appeared in Christchurch District Court. Tully has been remanded in custody on charges of murder of Peg Noble and Leigh Cleveland and attempted murder of Lindy Curtis. More>>

ALSO:

John Key Press Conference: Ashburton Shootings, Judith Collins Inquiry

Prime Minister John Key has delayed the release of Nationals’ fiscal policy in light of this morning’s shooting at a Work and Income office in Ashburton... Key also answered questions about Judith Collins, and confirmed that independent inquiry will be held with regard to allegations made against Collins. More>>

ALSO:

Internet MANA: Georgina Beyer Rocks The Waka

“There is now, and always will be, a range of views about many issues within our movement and members are free to express them, but Georgina’s views on Kim Dotcom are not shared by the MANA Movement leadership or the vast majority of MANA members and supporters around the country” states MANA Candidate for Waiariki, Annette Sykes. More>>

ALSO:

IGIS Update: Inquiry Into Release Of NZSIS Information

The Inquiry would be conducted in private and individuals would appear before her separately over a period of more than a week. She does not intend to name those summoned to give evidence until her report is published. “I can confirm that all persons summoned will be required to appear under oath...” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On John Key’s ‘Blame It On Judith’ Strategy

Right now, Prime Minister John Key seems intent on limiting the scope of any inquiry into his government’s dealings with Cameron Slater. The declared aim is to make that inquiry solely about Judith Collins’ behavior with respect to the Serious Fraud Office. More>>

ALSO:

Maori Council Lawyers' Statement: Supreme Court Decision On Maori Water Rights

“…the Supreme Court refused to give Pouakani people what they asked for, but may have given them something much, much better instead… the Supreme Court has questioned whether the Crown owns the River at all.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Debate, And The Collins Accusation

Debating is a peculiar discipline in that what you say is less important than how you’re saying it. Looking poised, being articulate and staying on topic generally wins the day – and on that score, Labour leader David Cunliffe won what turned out to be a bruising encounter with Prime Minister John Key last night on TVNZ. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news