Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Keep safe in the city this weekend

Keep safe in the city this weekend

Wellington Police are encouraging people to take sensible steps to keep themselves safe when walking to and from town over the weekend after two separate and unrelated late night attacks.

In the early hours of Saturday 16 February a woman in her 20s was attacked as she walked home in Taranaki Street.

The incident occurred near Wellington High School at about 4am and it is likely the male had been following her prior to the incident.

The male is described as a Caucasian male with a medium build in his 20's. He was wearing a dark or maroon coloured t-shirt and jeans.

On Wednesday 20 February at around 11pm, another woman in her 20s was walking home alone from a concert at the Michael Fowler Centre.

Detective Sergeant Glenn Williams says "The young woman walked barefoot holding her shoes along Wakefield Street, Victoria Street, Bond Street and onto Willis Street then Boulcott Street.

"As she walked along the Boulcott Street overpass over the motorway towards Everton Terrace, she was grabbed around her waist from behind by an unknown male.

The victim managed to lean forward and break free of the male's grasp and run back down Boulcott Street the way she had come.

The male offender has run off the other way, westward along Boulcott Street towards Everton Terrace where he was seen by members of the public".

He is described as Caucasian male in his late 20's who was wearing a dark long sleeved top and jeans. He has a short haircut, is of a medium build and around 183cms tall.

Wellington Police are would like to hear from any person who saw either of these attacks or the people described on (04) 381 2000 or to provide information anonymously to Crime Stoppers on 0800 555 111.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news