Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Canadian meth trail leads to cannabis Auckland grow houses


Canadian methamphetamine trail leads to cannabis grow houses in Auckland


A joint operation between the Organised Financial Crime Agency New Zealand (OFCANZ) and other agencies has busted a methamphetamine importing syndicate in New Zealand and Canada and shut a number of cannabis growing houses on Auckland's North Shore.

Operation Express began in December 2012 involving staff from OFCANZ, New Zealand Police and the New Zealand Customs Service working in partnership with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and other Canadian authorities.

Five search warrants were executed at various addresses in Auckland today with further warrants executed in Vancouver by Canadian authorities.

Today's operation follows the execution of 14 warrants in Auckland last week where 5 fully operational grow houses were located and 10 people were arrested.

Those arrested last week are Vietnamese - 7 male and 3 female - aged between 18 and 34.

The investigation began after Canadian authorities seized two separate shipments of methamphetamine totalling 6.6kg in December 2012. This was concealed in a consignment of truck shock absorbers and destined for New Zealand. The methamphetamine has an estimated street value of NZ$7 million.

A joint operation was launched involving OFCANZ, NZ Customs and Canadian authorities in Vancouver which identified members of the syndicate in Canada and New Zealand.

The investigation also established that the syndicate was involved in the large scale cultivation of cannabis in a number of houses allegedly rented for that purpose, mainly on Auckland's North Shore.

Over 600 fully developed cannabis plants were seized in last week's operation together with an ounce of methamphetamine and approx NZ$90,000 in cash.

Two of those arrested last week are now also charged with conspiracy to import methamphetamine and importing methamphetamine. A further person has been arrested today and also charged in respect to the two failed importations seized in Canada and an additional three previous importations into New Zealand. In total 11 people have been arrested - one a patched gang member.

Detective Inspector Bruce Good of OFCANZ is very pleased with the operation:

"This investigation involved close liaison between NZ Customs and Canadian authorites, with further assistance being provided by Immigration New Zealand."

He says: "This has been another success for OFCANZ, Police and NZ Customs. It demonstrates our ability to co-operate extremely well at home as well as with overseas enforcement agencies. It sends a clear message to those attempting to bring drugs across the border that they will be apprehended"

"I am particularly concerned about the safety issues we discoverd at these grow houses and we've been working with electrical professionals in the termination phase of this operation."

Mr Good says all of these properties had been modified internally without the consent of owners or agents and, more significantly, the electrical supply to the houses had been tampered with.

"We've been dealing with live wires hanging loose, connections to the mains supply by-passed and houses left without any earthing mechanism. This type of tampering is potentially life threatening through the risk of either electric shock or fire"

"I urge all landlords to do regular, thorough checks on their properties to reduce such a risk." said Mr Good.


Police video taken inside one of the alleged grow houses can be viewed here: http://youtu.be/KiuDF41Y-LE

Still pictures are available on the Police website: www.police.govt.nz

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pre-Caucus Audio:
David Cunliffe And
The Future Of The
Labour Party

David Cunliffe met with the press today after Saturday’s disappointing election result for The Labour Party.

“We are all deeply concerned by the result of our party vote. I want to be clear that I, as leader, am responsible for that result” Cunliffe said. Although he called the results “deeply disappointing” Cunliffe said “the voters are always right”.

He felt that Labour needed to make improvements and take action: “We don’t need months to get feedback from members of the public, we've had a lot over the past 48 hours”. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left... More>>

ALSO:

General Election NZ: National Win

Election Night: With almost all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose. Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party. More>>

ALSO:

Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news