Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Council adopts draft Three Year Plan for consultation


Tuesday 26 February 2013


Council adopts draft Three Year Plan for consultation

A cycling network, a new walkway in Lyttelton Harbour and funding for suburban masterplan projects are among the proposals in the draft Christchurch City Three Year Plan.

Councillors met today to debate project proposals and financial information. The next step is to release the draft Christchurch City Three Year Plan for public consultation from 16 March to 19 April.

“These projects are affordable and very important as we move towards making this city stronger and more sustainable and a better place to live,” says Mayor Bob Parker.

Councillors also agreed to request a report on the process and steps required to integrate the New Brighton suburban masterplan and waterpark concepts.

“There’s been an extraordinary outpouring of support for this idea, which has really captured the imagination of people in the east and is one of best ideas I’ve seen in a while. We need to sit down and examine the pros and cons, without losing the excitement or momentum.”

The draft plan proposes a total rates increase of 6.67 per cent made up of:
• 4.74 per cent - to cover standard services and projects
• 1.93 per cent - a Special Earthquake Charge to fund lost income, for example from parking meters and additional earthquake-related costs.

“We’ve thought very carefully about what Christchurch can afford and tried to keep rates rises as low as possible. This increase will see the average household’s rates go up by about $2 a week.”

Christchurch’s rates remain well below average for a metropolitan city in New Zealand. Other Councils increased rates by about five percent during their planning processes last year.

Public information sessions and open days will be held in different locations around Christchurch so people can find out more about these plans.

A summary document will be distributed to every household in Christchurch during the first week of consultation from 16 March. The full draft plan will be made available via the Council’s website, libraries and service centres at this time. Between March 16 and April 19, people can then make a submission by emailing ccc-plan@ccc.govt.nz, online at www.ccc.govt.nz/haveyoursay or using the freepost form in their summary booklet.

“I encourage residents to take the time to make a submission to the plan. This city belongs to all of us and it’s important we all have a say on its future,”says Mayor Bob Parker.

– ends –


Have your say

Come along and talk about the plan with us, ask questions and find out more about some of the proposals.

Open days

You’re invited to a weekend event at the dome in Hagley Park
- Saturday 23 March (11am-3pm)
- Sunday 24 March (2pm-4.30pm)
- Monday 25 March (3pm-7pm)

Community drop-in sessions

DateVenueTime
Wednesday 27 March 2013Burwood Pegasus Community Boardroom, corner of Beresford Street and Union Street, New Brighton3.30-7pm
Thursday 28 MarchPapanui Service Centre Community Boardroom, corner Restell Street and Langdons Road, Papanui3.30-7pm
Wednesday 3 AprilLyttelton Club, 23 Dublin Street, Lyttelton3.30-7pm
Thursday 4 AprilBeckenham Service Centre Community Boardroom, 66 Colombo St, Beckenham3.30-7pm
Saturday 6 AprilWoolston Club, 43 Hargood St, Woolston11am-2.30pm
Monday 8 AprilFendalton Service Centre Community Boardroom, 4 Jeffreys Rd, Fendalton3.30-7pm
Tuesday 9 AprilUpper Riccarton Library Community Boardroom, 71 Main South Road, Sockburn3.30-7pm
Wednesday 10 AprilAkaroa Sports Complex, 28 Rue Jolie, Akaroa3.30-7pm

For more information phone 03 941 8999 (Banks Peninsula residents can call 0800 800 169)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news