Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Fight Not Over – Council Should Show Courage

Weds 27 February 2013

Media Release: For immediate release

Fight Not Over – Council Should Show Courage

“It’s far from over.”

That from the Save Centennial group after the release of a City Council report last week recommending the inner city pool complex be destroyed.

Simone Pearson, the spokesperson for Save Centennial which has been fighting for almost two years to have Centennial repaired and reopened, says she will address the city council on the matter this tomorrow.

“The information upon which the CCC staff’s recommendation has been based is flawed and in places factually incorrect,” she says.

Pearson adds that over 50% of all 2678 submissions received by the CCC on the Annual Plan, supported repairing and retaining the Centennial pool and the fact that the children’s playground (part of the Green Frame, a key CERA anchor project in the CBD) would share the space with Centennial makes the retention of the pool worth investigating using correct information.

Save Centennial says the repair of the Centennial pool will help address the needs of children, the elderly, the disabled, workers and families, and residents, as well as having an immediate impact of bringing new activity, trade and life back into central city in short order, not years in the future.

“Centennial Pool can only be demolished once, once it’s gone, it’s gone forever”, she says. “We must stand up for our community and demand transparent government. There is no doubt in our mind that the recommendation to destroy Centennial has been pre-determined and this is shameful,” she says.

Simone Pearson says when it comes to saving and restoring key community assets, a new attitude should be displayed.

“We must start looking at how we can achieve something rather than why we cannot,” she says.

Save Centennial believes the fact a temporary stadium can be built so quickly for millions of dollars, proves that what may seem insurmountable can be achieved, with the right approach and focus.

“Some of the reasons why Centennial can’t be saved are spurious” she says. “I will be addressing a number of these on Thursday at council.”

Simone will speak at the Christchurch City Council on Thursday 28 February between 9:30 and 10 am (approx.).

END

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

17 Year Sentences In Baby Moko Case: Attorney General On Plea Bargain

“The Crown’s decisions in this case, including the decision to accept the manslaughter pleas, were motivated by the need to secure convictions for this horrendous killing and to avoid the significant risk that either of the defendants could escape such a conviction because of evidential issues.” More>>

ALSO:

No Rail For New Harbour Crossing: National Giving Up On Rail In Auckland

The National Government’s decision to scrap two planned rail lines in Auckland shows it is giving up on a city-wide rail network in Auckland, and on thousands of commuters who sit in traffic jams every single day, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news